Skip to content
Transition from Bottle to Sippy
sweetbaby82 posted:
My son will be 1 next week (cant believe it!) and today I tried to see how he would do with his milk in a sippy and not a bottle. It didnt go very well, he only took a couple sips and then would refuse to drink anymore. I kept trying for about an hour and he drank less than an ounce total. When I gave in and gave it to him in a bottle he drank the whole thing. I know its not the sippy because he loves drinking water out of it. I tried two different cups and he didnt want either one. Im sure its just because he is used to his milk in a bottle. Are there any ways to make this easier, I wouldnt want to wait all day until he finally gets starving and drinks from the cup, I think he is a little young for that. Or is it even that important to switch to the cup now?
Baby Boy born 9/8/10! 4 pounds 13 ounces

Olivetre responded:
My dd took around 2 months to transition to the sippy cup. It helped that she was in daycare and when sshe moved up to the next class all of the other children were using sippy cups. Seeing all the others using sippy cups had her change within the first week. Its just like with food they don't want to try, you have to keep offering it before it will take. I always offered the sippy cup first let her wait for 15 minutes then gave her the bottle if she refused.

Featuring Experts

Dr. Dan Brennan is a Board Certified Pediatrician and Certified Lactation Counselor. He is a graduate of UCLA, Albany Medical College and completed ...More

Helpful Tips

The What, When, How, and Why of Babies Sleeping Through the NightExpert
I absolutely love the discussions in this newborn community! I have noticed lots of discussions lately about sleep issues in babies that ... More
Was this Helpful?
21 of 27 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.