Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Gassy baby & Breastfeeding and Yeast
DeaMom posted:
My son is 2 1/2 months old. He's a preemie by 2 months. When he was in the NICU he was fed Simila Advance for about two days and then was switched to Similac Neosure for a few days. Then he was fed my pumped breastmilk. Since then he has been breastfed. He is very gassy especially between the hours of 4 am to 6 am. (He makes groaning sounds and his navel protrudes.) I have changed my diet to basically exclude dairy and he's still gassy. (I basically eliminated dairy because he seems to be more gassy when I drink milk and none of my other kids could drink milk based formula.) I found out recently that I have a yeast infection both in the vagina and the breast. I'm being treated with Fluconazole 150mg for three days...second treatment. My son has been to two doctors who said he does not have trush and they see no need to treat him for it.

Could the breastmilk have yeast in it and cause him to have gas?

I was told by several people that if I don't eat on time, I pass gas to my son as well...Is there any truth to that?

Also, he sounds stuffy often but no mucus...allergies?

Any suggestions, comment would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

sweetbaby82 responded:
I had thrush also (yeast) on my nipples and found that it is best to treat both mom and baby at the same time because it can be passed to one or the other if you are not both being treated. I am not sure about the yeast or your eating on time causing him gas, but some babies are just gasier than others. Sometimes it just takes time for the baby to be less affected by tummy troubles...my son had bad gas and colic no matter what I ate and no matter if it was formula or breastmilk. We tried bouncing, using a wrap, gripe water, gas drops, pressure on tummy with forearm...nothing helped consistently, but they seemed to help somewhat.
Baby Boy born 9/8/10! 4 pounds 13 ounces

mathgypsy2 responded:
Having thrush can cause baby's to have gas. My lo's gas is way less since we started treating the thrush. I never eat on time and don't think it effects gas, your milk supply may be lower so he may suck harder and breath in more air? Fluconazole does go into breast milk and it may be helping to kill off the thrush on your son, if you keep having a infection make the doctors treat your son, if they will not find a new doctor. You and baby can have thrush without symptoms. The stuffiness may just be that baby have small nasal passages so they sound stuffy easier and have not learned to breath though the mouth. I would ask the doctor next time you go.

DeaMom replied to mathgypsy2's response:
I mentioned to both doctors that I'm being treated for yeast and asked for my son to be treated but both doctors said he has no symptoms. One actually went on to say there are no white patches in his mouth and no diaper rash. I did mention to both I read articles online that said sometimes there are no symptoms in the baby...still no avail:-(

sweetbaby82 and mathgypsy2, did either of your babies show symptoms of thrush?

As for his stuffiness, the doctor said to use saline drops...

cathwo responded:
Be sure to eliminate other gas producing foods, like broccoli, cabbage and beans are common culprits. Or your DS could just be naturally gassy. I don't think timing and eating have anything to do with it though.

I agree. Get your baby treated. See if there is a breastfeeding clinic in your area, one that has a doctor. That doctor should be more than willing to treat both you and your DS for a yeast infection. They understand the importance of treating both at the same time. Otherwise it will never go away, you wil just pass it back and forth.

As for the stuffy nose, babies have very small breathing passages. That is why they always sound congested even when they are not. Saline drops and bulb suction will help if there is something up there otherwise you will just have to bear with the noise. If there is mucus and red, puffy, teary eyes then it may be allergies.

mathgypsy2 replied to DeaMom's response:
My baby's thrush was very obvious her doctor told me I needed to be treated too. I didn't have symptoms on my breast, but had heat rash that was yeast so my doctor gave me fluconazole and said it would help both.

Featuring Experts

Dr. Dan Brennan is a Board Certified Pediatrician and Certified Lactation Counselor. He is a graduate of UCLA, Albany Medical College and completed ...More

Helpful Tips

anemia scare
my 16 month old daughter just got some blood work done and the results came back and showed she was anemic. We are very concerned, scared, ... More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 8 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.