Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Issues w/ pregnancy, Baby with Heart Defect
An_239704 posted:
My 3rd child is 4 months old. My pregnancy with my son had issues. In the beginning I had to be rushed to the ER due to gushing blood. They diagnosed me with Subchorionc Hematoma and was put on bed rest. They told me one of three things could happen: I could have a miscarriage, I could have issues with placenta previa or I could go into preterm labor. My son was born the last week of April 2011, in Feb 2011 I was diagnosed with Placenta Previa. I was put on bed rest for a second time.

In August 2011 my son's pediatrican detected a heart murmur (which was not detected at the hospital when he was born). Yesterday I took my son to the Cardiologist. That doctor diagnosed my son with a heart defect called Patent Ductus Arteriosus (PDA) which is common for premies, rare for full term babies (my son was full term). I'm wondering if the conditions I had during my pregnancy with him have to do with this heart issue.

Dan Brennan, MD responded:
Great Question.

What a rough sounding pregnancy! So sorry.

There is no link between your child having a PDA and the prenatal complications that you had. I hope that helps give you peace of mind

Glad that your doctor picked this up and referred you.

Dr. Dan

Featuring Experts

Dr. Dan Brennan is a Board Certified Pediatrician and Certified Lactation Counselor. He is a graduate of UCLA, Albany Medical College and completed ...More

Helpful Tips

Updated Crib Safety GuidelinesExpert
For information on the latest federal crib safety standards, here is a link to important points for parents to be aware of! ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 5 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.