Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
what can i give my 6 month old son that is similar to breastmilk, but not formula?
An_239949 posted:
just had a question about what i could give my 6 month old son which is currently breastfeeding. he was a primee born at 31 weeks..after we brought him home he was on a formula suplement. at 3 months the formula to breastmilk changes durring the day caused him to have a malrotation of his bowels. so we stopped the formula immeditately. now i have to go back to work part time and it is very difficult to find time to pump evey few hrs the days i work, but i still want to b able to nurse him when i'm home and at night. so is there anything u would suggest to give him instead of formula durring the times he is away from me? my friend gave her daughter which is also breastfeed waterdowned whole milk and just nursed at night.. any suggestions on what i could give him or do u think whole milk out work? and would regular milk hurt his stomach because he is so young? thank you.

ilovefelixz11 responded:
I started my giving my 7 month old son whole milk when he was 6 months. He's had no complications at all from the milk & he loves it!!! I didn't breastfeed my son (i couldn't make enough) but if i were you i'd def. try the whole milk,i just gave him a little at first to make sure there were no complications. hope this helped!!

Anon_48326 responded:
I would not advise you to give your baby whole milk without speaking to your pediatrician. It's not just about how your baby will respond to it, it's also about all of the additional nutrients found in breast milk and formula that are NOT in whole milk. Please speak to your pediatrician and ask him/her for advice.

Anon_1533 responded:
DO FEED YOUR BABY MILK!!! You MUST give them breastmilk/formula until they are a year old. Not only are they not old enough to process cow's milk, there are not proper nutrients in cow's milk to sustain your baby. It's especially dangerous because your baby was a preemie.

You may need to try a different formula if the one you already tried was upsetting your son's belly. There are so many different formulas out there, you WILL find one that works!

Please also don't try milk to save money. If you are financially unable to afford formula, there are programs out there that can help you.

Please talk to your baby's doctor before doing something like this!

jadedstar responded:
I never made enough milk for my babies this last go round i nursed for a month and pumped like a mad woman but wasnt enough we had to go to formula and we tried at least 7 different ones before we found one that he could keep down he still have moments where he will spit it up but doc ays a little is normal im just gald he isnt projectile now. and when trancesioning from breast milk to formula we mixed what i could pump with it to and then the formals we would do 3/4 one 1/4 the other then half n half then the other just to ease his tiny tummy into the new stuff it akes a couples days but so worth it HOPE this helps you and hope you find the ringht one soon. and PLEASE PLEASE DO NOT GIVE COW MILK TO A BAYb UNDER A YEAR OLD the microorgnaims that adults can handle can cause infection and death in a baby especially preemies
Jaded (33) DD Anlea Jade(7) DS Eli Rain(3months) ~single mom and I love it~ They are my angels, my lil blessings from Heaven~

deppsmomof4 replied to jadedstar's response:
try similac allmentium i think thats how you spell it lol but please never give your child under a year cows milk my daughter was born i brestfed her and she has a senistive stomach so when i started introducing formula the dr sugested that its probably the best you can give cause its for multiple problems if not that then pump and someone can feed the pumped milk to your baby while your away

DeaMom responded:
Don't give him whole milk, as all the others have posted.

My 3 1/2 month old son is also a preemie, born at 32 weeks. I have a similar problem like you do. I'm getting ready to return to work full-time and don't have anywhere private to express milk. Per his doctor order I gave him Similac Neosure. He did not have any bowel movements for 2 full days. When he finally did, it was yellow and runny/watery, then brown and runny/watery. Doc said to give him Similac Alimentum. He had projectile vomitting at his second feeding of it and a normal bowel movement. His second bowel movement was light green and kind of frotty looking...so I'm still breast feeding him only.

With that said, seems to me preemies have sensitive stomachs/digestive systems. You should call or visit the pediatrician for advice.

I'm going to try expressing milk after every feeding for a few days to try and increase my milk supply...hopefully this will result in more milk production and I can continue to give him breast milk until he's a bit older.

And some say eating oats helps increase breast milk...

Best of luck!

Amelia_WebMD_Staff responded:
Please do be cautious and speak with your pediatrician!

According to this helpful WebMD Feeding Your Infant Overview , "If you are unable to or choose not to breast-feed, feed your baby commercially prepared iron-fortified formula . Cow's milk, goat's milk, and soy milk are not appropriate for babies younger than 1 year of age. They do not contain the amounts of fat, iron, and other nutrients that very young babies need in order to grow and develop properly. Also, the protein in cow and goat milk is very hard for young babies to digest."

Don't ever hesitate to call your pediatrician when you are in doubt. Why risk your precious little one's health?

Please let us know how things are going and take care!
Amelia

cshyronia responded:
personally pumped on my 2 breaks and at lunch. But i have a wonderful job who even have a special room set up for bf moms. it was tiring. but i had issue with regular formula. my baby take enfamil nutramigen.

Featuring Experts

Dr. Dan Brennan is a Board Certified Pediatrician and Certified Lactation Counselor. He is a graduate of UCLA, Albany Medical College and completed ...More

Helpful Tips

anemia scare
my 16 month old daughter just got some blood work done and the results came back and showed she was anemic. We are very concerned, scared, ... More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 8 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.