Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
thrush
An_239984 posted:
have a 1month old boy who has thrush all in his mouth what over the counter meds can i get to treat it

phoenix31674 responded:
Both of you need to be treated by the doctor so you don't end up passing it back and forth (presuming you are breastfeeding since this is where it normally comes from). I don't know of any OTC medications to treat that sort of yeast infection.

Katya1985 responded:
I have seen the ped last Thursday about my daughter thrush. She is a week old. My ped gave us an over the counter medication. It is called GENTIAN VIOLET. Usually the pharmacies do not have it in stock so you will have to order it, takes one day. It is a purple liquid. Just apply on effected area ONCE only and on your breasts and the pacifiers and it will be gone. Only suggestion is to put old clothing on yourself and baby because it is kind of messy for couple days. The tongue, lips and half a face will be kind of purple from breastfeeding but will go away within 3 days.We used it and it worked perfect, better then nustatin. Totally recommend.

Dan Brennan, MD replied to phoenix31674's response:
Hi An:

It never hurts to have your ped take a look at what's going on, rather than self-medicate.

That being said, Gentian violet can be effective as an OTC option.

In my practice, I tend to use Nystatin as a first line agent. Both baby and nursing moms need to be treated in order to halt the passing back and forth of the thrush.

Hope that helps,

Dr. Dan

Featuring Experts

Dr. Dan Brennan is a Board Certified Pediatrician and Certified Lactation Counselor. He is a graduate of UCLA, Albany Medical College and completed ...More

Helpful Tips

Updated Crib Safety GuidelinesExpert
For information on the latest federal crib safety standards, here is a link to important points for parents to be aware of! ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 5 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.