Skip to content
Help !!! My 2 month old HATES tummy time
MSettle78 posted:
My big boy hate tummy time ! EVERYTIME I put him on his belly he screams. He has no interest in it. Sometimes I put him on his belly to sleep so I know he likes it then. But as far as play time he will just take his head and bury it and scream. I know that tummy time is key to holding their head up. Any suggestions ? He holds his head up pretty well already but he needs to do tummy time !!!

phoenix31674 responded:
DD hated it. She screamed bloody murder. I would get down on the floor and try to engage her. Generally I would shoot for 5 minute sessions 3-4 times a day, but sometimes I couldn't put up with the screaming for that long.

Eventually (once she started rolling over) she stopped screaming about it. Some kids just act that way.

DS on the other hand loved it and would only sleep on his tummy.

Just keep at it despite his protests.

GermaphobeTeacher responded:
One suggestion I have, if you haven't already tried it, is to try lying on your back and putting him on his belly on your chest. My daughter always loved that. That way they are getting some tummy time, but they still feel safe and secure. We did that a lot when our daughter was tiny, and she always loved tummy time. Hope that helps!

Amelia_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi MSettle!

Hope things are getting better! Just wanted to share this WebMD Baby Development for 4-Month-Olds because it looks like tummy time should begin around the fourth month. Maybe your big boy isn't quite ready? Here are the 2-Month-Old Milestones to check out and see where you are with things!

Personally, I can't remember exactly when we started tummy time with my daughter...can any of the other members here remember when tummy time started for your little ones?

Take care!
Amelia

lenono97 responded:
From my experience, most kids hate tummy time. So I wouldn't stress about that too much and just do what you can. I had my son to his 2 month check up yesterday. The pedi suggested we do more tummy time to keep his head from having a flat spot. He is our second so we just have not had time to do much tummy time yet! I told her I have him up on my shoulder a lot and she said that was good as well.

Featuring Experts

Dr. Dan Brennan is a Board Certified Pediatrician and Certified Lactation Counselor. He is a graduate of UCLA, Albany Medical College and completed ...More

Helpful Tips

Updated Crib Safety GuidelinesExpert
For information on the latest federal crib safety standards, here is a link to important points for parents to be aware of! ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 5 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.