Skip to content
cord odor
Ihgirl1066 posted:
Our daughter is 9 days old and this morn i notice a foul odor comming from her cord site an a small amt of bld. Our son is only 17 months old but i dont remember him having this problem. Does this sound normal to you all or no??

cathwo responded:
Foul odor is a sign of infection. Also look for redness, swelling and discharge that is bloody or discolored. A small amount of discharge that is clear or blood tinged is fine. You should get this checked out soon. If you have an urgent care facility go there. Until you seek medical attention clean it with mild soap and water. Dry well (air dry) and try to keep the diaper off of it. You can cover it with gauze and tape if you can't keep the diaper from covering it.

Ihgirl1066 replied to cathwo's response:
Well the cord fell off yesterday, no more odor and it looks perfectly fine...so i guess we'll just keep an eye on it.

Demeli responded:
We had the same thing happen with our first son. We had to take him in for something else and I just mentioned how his cord smelled so bad! All it was that we weren't cleaning it well enough...we were first time parents trying to be sooo gentle while cleaning...well that meant not cleaning it well enough...after that we had no more problems then it fell off...

Amelia_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi lhgirl!

I'm glad to hear that things seem to be going in the right direction, now. Here is our Umbilical Cord Overview for those of you who are unsure if you are handling the site just right. It also lists when it is necessary for you to contact a doctor, both while it is attached as well as after the stump falls off on its own.

Take care!
Amelia

Featuring Experts

Dr. Dan Brennan is a Board Certified Pediatrician and Certified Lactation Counselor. He is a graduate of UCLA, Albany Medical College and completed ...More

Helpful Tips

The What, When, How, and Why of Babies Sleeping Through the NightExpert
I absolutely love the discussions in this newborn community! I have noticed lots of discussions lately about sleep issues in babies that ... More
Was this Helpful?
21 of 27 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.