Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Preventing hiccups after feeding
esiah1026 posted:
My newborn seems to get the hiccups almost after every feeding. He's burped twice during feedings once half way through and after he's finished. I would assume this would keep him from not only spitting up, but also from getting the hiccups. Does anyone know what causes this and if there's something I should or shouldn't be doing during or after a feeding to prevent this. I feel so bad when he looks up at me with his little eyes while he has the hiccups

lenono97 responded:
My son is now 3 months old. But when he was a newborn I noticed he got hiccups frequently after feeding. Haven't noticed any in probably the last month so I think it's just something they will grow out of. I have never heard of a remedy for hiccups.

shoxy responded:
Do you bottle feed formula? If so swirl the formula to mix it, don't shake it. It takes longer but my daughter almost never get's the hiccups since I discovered that little trick..

esiah1026 replied to shoxy's response:
Yes I do. Thank you, i'll give it a try.

RoseLynn02 responded:
Hiccups are very normal for infants & actually don't bother babies like they do adults. The wives tell goes a hiccuping baby is a healthy happy baby. My doula actually told me not worry about it that it really doesn't bother them. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Featuring Experts

Dr. Dan Brennan is a Board Certified Pediatrician and Certified Lactation Counselor. He is a graduate of UCLA, Albany Medical College and completed ...More

Helpful Tips

The What, When, How, and Why of Babies Sleeping Through the NightExpert
I absolutely love the discussions in this newborn community! I have noticed lots of discussions lately about sleep issues in babies that ... More
Was this Helpful?
19 of 25 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.