Skip to content
How Fast is Your Baby Gaining Weight? (Childhood Obesity Study)
Amelia_WebMD_Staff posted:
"Babies who gain weight most quickly are at highest risk of obesity later in childhood, a Harvard study finds."

But before you change your LO's diet and start to panic, please check out the Fast Baby Weight article and speak to your pediatrician about your LO's weight/height percentile lines and any concerns. It is still unknown what, if anything, should be done about these findings, but never too early to learn more about our children.
  1. What was your LO's birth weight?
  2. How old is your LO now?
  3. What's your LO's weight/height, today?

ami_nix responded:
1.) 6 lbs, 8 oz.
2.) 7 months on the 16th of Nov.
3.) At his 6 month checkup, He was 15 lbs, 14 oz. his Pediatrician said he's remained consistantly in the 25th percentile.. except his head.. He's got his Daddy's big ole head
Noah's mom- "When you are a mother, you are never really alone in your thoughts. A mother always has to think twice, once for herself and once for her son." - Sophia Loren

zabroza86 responded:
1. 7lb 10oz & 20.5in long
2. going on 5 months
3. at 4th mo c/u he was 14lb 14oz and 25in long, so I'm assuming over 15lbs now

GermaphobeTeacher responded:
  1. What was your LO's birth weight? 7 lbs 14 oz, 20 1/2 inches long
  2. How old is your LO now? 10 1/2 months
  3. What's your LO's weight/height, today? 25 lbs, 30 in tall, She's big for her age, but she is not a bit chubby. She is very lean.

kay_kay75 responded:
1. 7lbs 11 oz 20 inches
2. 10 months
3. 18lbs 6.5 oz, 27 3/4 inches

kelley930 responded:
1. 8 lbs. 3. oz. at birth (22 inches long, with canal head)

2. 6 weeks as of yesterday

3. 10 lbs. 15 oz. as of his 1 month check up (still 22 inches, but canal head went away)

Doc wasn't concerned, but my in-laws are both obese, as well as my brother & one of my sister-in-laws.... it's not a problem beyond that, so I wouldn't think it to be a genetic issue to watch out for?

Malsmomma responded:
  1. What was your LO's birth weight? 7 lbs 6 oz
  2. How old is your LO now? 7 weeks
  3. What's your LO's weight/height, today? roughly 11 1/2 lbs and 22 inches
My doctor advised me to find about how much the baby would need would follow this calculation:

babys weight(in lbs) *3 / # of feedings per day = oz's per serving

Has anyone else's MD referred to this or a similar calculation?

sarah0323 responded:
  1. What was your LO's birth weight? 5lb 6 oz
  2. How old is your LO now? 1 year today
  3. What's your LO's weight/height, today? 18 lb 6 oz and 27 1/4"
She is little but has continued to grow at her own pace. She has stayed fairly consistant on her growth curve. She is 10% for weight and 8% for length.
Sarah 32, SO 32, DD1 11, DS1 7, DS2 4, DS3 3, DD2 3 months

Allaya9 responded:
1. 7lbs 10oz, 21 inches
2. 2 months old
3. 13lbs 14oz, 25 inches

He's in the 50th percentile for weight but for height he's in the 95th percentile, so we're thinking he's gonna be a tall boy like mommy and daddy.

kelley930 replied to sarah0323's response:
good things come in small packages!!!

I have the same situation with my oldest... he's 11 1/2 & only 62 lbs. He's small for his age, but consistent in his growth pattern. As long as he's healthy, I'm ok with his size.

ami_nix replied to Malsmomma's response:
My Pediatrician told us to feed our little one when he's hungry and he'd let us know when he's full. He said that scheduled feedings etc. kept babies from following their own instincts and could lead to obesity later in life. It's work well for us so far, he's staying right at the 25th percentile for height and weight at each visit. I'm not sure how comfortable I'd be following a math formula since it doesn't take into account things like growth spurts and rising activity levels.
Noah's mom- "When you are a mother, you are never really alone in your thoughts. A mother always has to think twice, once for herself and once for her son." - Sophia Loren

Demeli responded:
1. 10lbs 12 oz; 22 inches long
2. 9 1/2 months
3. 20.5 lbs and 27 inches

Like my doctor said my babies are huge in the womb and when they are out they just gain weight at a nice pace...should be the other way around..lol

sarah0323 replied to kelley930's response:
Me too!!!

She is our last and the smallest one of them all but I think she is going to be the fiestiest of them all. As long as they are healthy I'm ok with it. I'm not a tall person and neither are any of the women in my family.
Sarah 32, SO 32, DD1 11, DS1 7, DS2 4, DS3 3, DD2 3 months

phoenixsong61 responded:
1. 9 lbs. 14.7 oz. at birth

2. 10 months old now

3. Over 30 in. tall and over 23 lbs.

Big babies run in my family and my husband's. My son is tall and lean, just like my husband and I was the same way as an infant.

Ihgirl1066 replied to phoenixsong61's response:
1. 8lbs 15oz and 21.5 inches at birth
2. Shes 7 weeks
3. at 1 month 11.2 lbs and 23 inches

Featuring Experts

Dr. Dan Brennan is a Board Certified Pediatrician and Certified Lactation Counselor. He is a graduate of UCLA, Albany Medical College and completed ...More

Helpful Tips

Updated Crib Safety GuidelinesExpert
For information on the latest federal crib safety standards, here is a link to important points for parents to be aware of! ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 5 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.