Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
two week old sleeping through the night
amandawaas1983 posted:
my two week old is sleeping through most of the night about 6 1/2 to 7 hours a night. i am breast feeding her and in the hospital they told me to wake her up every 3 hours to feed her, but when i go to wake her up at night she wont feed, she has gained her birth weight back and then about 1 lb. so my question is, is this normal or should i really try to wake her up every three hours and make her eat? or should i let her sleep and just feed her when she wants to eat?

Dan Brennan, MD responded:
Great question. You will ultimately want to have this discussion with your pediatrician, but when breastfeeding is established and a baby is gaining weight consistently, it should be okay to nurse on demand. There may be times where you get longer stretches and that is okay.

Things to watch for, however, would be engorgement, drop in milk supply and signs of mastitis (breast infection).

Often times, newborns will go through cluster feeding periods around 3 and 6 weeks of age, so I wouldn't be surprised to see more frequent feedings in your near future.

Good luck and congratulations!

Hope that helps.

Dr. Dan

Featuring Experts

Dr. Dan Brennan is a Board Certified Pediatrician and Certified Lactation Counselor. He is a graduate of UCLA, Albany Medical College and completed ...More

Helpful Tips

Updated Crib Safety GuidelinesExpert
For information on the latest federal crib safety standards, here is a link to important points for parents to be aware of! ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 5 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.