Skip to content

Announcements

Exciting News for WebMD Members!

We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

What Do You Need to Do?

The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

Includes Expert Content
    two week old sleeping through the night
    amandawaas1983 posted:
    my two week old is sleeping through most of the night about 6 1/2 to 7 hours a night. i am breast feeding her and in the hospital they told me to wake her up every 3 hours to feed her, but when i go to wake her up at night she wont feed, she has gained her birth weight back and then about 1 lb. so my question is, is this normal or should i really try to wake her up every three hours and make her eat? or should i let her sleep and just feed her when she wants to eat?

Dan Brennan, MD responded:
    Great question. You will ultimately want to have this discussion with your pediatrician, but when breastfeeding is established and a baby is gaining weight consistently, it should be okay to nurse on demand. There may be times where you get longer stretches and that is okay.

Things to watch for, however, would be engorgement, drop in milk supply and signs of mastitis (breast infection).

Often times, newborns will go through cluster feeding periods around 3 and 6 weeks of age, so I wouldn't be surprised to see more frequent feedings in your near future.

Good luck and congratulations!

Hope that helps.

Dr. Dan

Helpful Tips

Nose Frida & Humidifier
    My doctor tol dme the congestion is normal. We put a humidifier in her room and used the Nose Frida (alternative to the bulb). This has ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    2 of 2 found this helpful

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.