Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Bright Red Birthmark
Heaven_Lea posted:
My daughter was born with a bright red birthmark on her back. At first it was very blotchy, scattered over an area the size of a nickle, and smooth.

Soon after she was born it started becoming more solid and welted up above the skin. Her pediatrician does not seem too concerned about it but is keeping a close eye on it.

She has an appointment with a dermatologist in Jan but I do not know if I can wait that long to find out if its normal. It's not getting bigger in diameter, but it is rising higher above the skin.

Has any one else ever seen anything like this?

- a concerned new mommy

lenono97 responded:
My son had something similar on his leg after he was born. The pedi wasn't concerned about it and it's since faded so I can hardly notice it. However, if it's continuing to rise above the skin, I would try and get in to the dermatologist sooner. Just to be on the safe side. Good luck!

Anon_48326 responded:
My daughter had a strawberry too and it went away so I wouldn't worry about it. It's good that you'll get further info from a dermatologist though. I certainly remember all the things a new mommy worries about. Enjoy your little angel!

Amelia_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Heaven_Lea,

I agree with the other members that seeing a dermatologist is never a bad idea, though many birthmarks are harmless, need no treatment and often disappear with age. This Visual Guide to Birthmarks and Birthmark Overview may help you to point out what your little one's mark may be.

Also, feel free to post any of your questions and concerns in our Skin & Beauty Community and/or our Skin Problems & Treatments Community for expert and member insight.

Take care and please keep us posted!
Amelia

Sara DuMond, MD, FAAP responded:
Hi Heaven_Lea,

When birthmarks change over time, many parents worry that it is a sign that it represents something worrisome. In this case, however, you are describing a very common (and very normal) hemangioma, often referred to as a strawberry hemangioma because of the raised appearance. The changes that you've already noted - going from spotty, to more filled in, to actually raised, are all normal. You can expect for it to grow in size for up to the first 12-18 months of life, and then they naturally start involuting, or going away on their own. Even though they grow initially, they eventually go away to the point that at some point during early childhood, you will no longer be able to see it at all. Imagine that - a vanishing birthmark! Thank you for sharing your concern on this board. It is such a common occurrence that I'm sure many other parents will be able to relate and learn something from it. Best of luck to you!
Dr. DuMond

sdadkin responded:
My first DS was born with one of these. It was right in the middle of his forehead. It started out as a red mark that progressively got a little bigger and became more raised over time. At it's largest it was probably a little bit smaller than a dime but maybe like a quarter of an inch deep. His doctor said that it could last for up to 7 years, but by his first birthday it had almost completely faded away. He is two and a half now and you can still slightly see it when he wrinkles his forehead, but it is barely noticable. It really is nothing to worry about! HTH!
Dawn (26) Justin (26) DS1 Carter (7/22/09) DS2 Mason (5/3/11)

Featuring Experts

Dr. Dan Brennan is a Board Certified Pediatrician and Certified Lactation Counselor. He is a graduate of UCLA, Albany Medical College and completed ...More

Helpful Tips

Crib Safety Tips
CRIB SAFETY TIPS if you have a used crib or are considering buying one: Make sure it has no corner posts. older infants can catch ... More
Was this Helpful?
11 of 23 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.