Skip to content
why is there blood in my babies diaper
An_241630 posted:
I just found a small amount of blood in my 3 month old, baby boys diaper. He seems to be fine otherwise but i did get an out of the blue scream not too long before the diaper change. Could it be a UTI? He is breastfed and has been peeing and pooping regularly... what could this be??

alaska_mommy responded:
Was he constipated at all?

shoxy responded:
A few months ago my daughter had some constipation and we found a small bit of blood and took her to the doc who saw it(we saved the diaper). she checked her and then told us she was fine b/c it was red. If it's black, then you have something more intense going on.

RoseLynn02 responded:
If it's red blood with poop it's fine. In that case it's most likely fissures (little tears) caused by hard poop. You can check his rectum & will most likely be able to see them yourself. A&D ointment helps with that as well as giving baby prune juice or other fibrous foods to help with softer bowel movements. If it's red with blood with just urine take him to be seen asap. If it's black blood at all take him to emergency asap. Hope that helps.

Featuring Experts

Dr. Dan Brennan is a Board Certified Pediatrician and Certified Lactation Counselor. He is a graduate of UCLA, Albany Medical College and completed ...More

Helpful Tips

Updated Crib Safety GuidelinesExpert
For information on the latest federal crib safety standards, here is a link to important points for parents to be aware of! ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 5 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.