Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Advice
Fowlkes posted:
I have a 7.5 month old baby boy. He had a form of pink eye that was diagnosed and treated on this past Tuesday. Starting Wednesday he has had a fever as high as 104 at times. Took him in to the doc and they stated it was something viral and try to keep his fever down with medicine and make sure he ate. He has started to not eat and become very fussy still running a fever i guess what is now day 5. We have the ability to take him back to his doc today at 1pm because he has not urinated since about 7am but has had two diarrhea episodes that were virtually water. I guess im just trying to get advice on how worried i should be i mean we have the doc saying it has to just run its course but it has me worried.

shoxy responded:
The doctors have been doing this awhile BUT you're mom and mom does know her baby the best! If you feel something more is wrong then don't let it go. The fever as high as 104 and the diarrhea would really worry me too. A fever just means his body is doing it's job but 104 is starting to get into febrile seizure territory... If it is the flue then about 7 days is average. I hope he gets better very soon!! So sorry!

Amelia_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Fowlkes,

I'm so sorry to hear about your son and hope that you were able to see a pediatrician and/or an ophthalmologist about this concern. As this Pinkeye Overview states, "Do not assume that all red, irritated, or swollen eyes are pinkeye (viral conjunctivitis)." See what symptoms should be a warning to call your ophthalmologist here.

Please, take care of your precious son and keep us posted on how things go.

Take care!
Amelia

Sara DuMond, MD, FAAP responded:
Hi there. I am so sorry to hear that your son has been so sick. Fevers are always unnerving and even if it turns out to be something viral, after 5 days, it is absolutely time to have him rechecked. I would echo Amelia and say that the best course of action is to take him back to his pediatrician today. It sounds like it might be time to look a little further into why he isn't getting better. I also agree that lack of urine output, watery diarrhea, and a fever of that degree are all reasons to have him evaluated again. Trust your instincts and best of luck to you. Keep us updated.
Dr. DuMond

Featuring Experts

Dr. Dan Brennan is a Board Certified Pediatrician and Certified Lactation Counselor. He is a graduate of UCLA, Albany Medical College and completed ...More

Helpful Tips

Crib Safety Tips
CRIB SAFETY TIPS if you have a used crib or are considering buying one: Make sure it has no corner posts. older infants can catch ... More
Was this Helpful?
11 of 23 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.