Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Twitching newborn
Scoobdog1 posted:
I have a question about my newborn. He was born 3 wks early, and is now 9 days old. When he sleeps he twitches in even timing, arms and legs simultaeneously, for anywhere from 5 to 20 minutes at a time. Is this normal?

Sara DuMond, MD, FAAP responded:
Hi Scoobdog1,
Congratulations on the birth of your son! It can be so hard to interpret all of the little movements that babies make. In this instance, since the twitching seems to be somewhat rhythmic and lasts as long as 20 minutes sometimes, it is a good idea to schedule an appointment for him to be seen by his pediatrician. He or she will be able to evaluate and examine him, and determine if these twitches need to be evaluated further. Best of luck to you and please keep us updated.
Dr. DuMond

Scoobdog1 replied to Sara DuMond, MD, FAAP's response:
Thank you Doctor. I appreciate the advise, and will follow through with an appointment. By the way, love this service! What a great resource!

5ylver responded:
This happened with my daughter when she was about 20 days old. We weren't sure and it was night time when we became concerned so we took her to the ER. The twitching turned out to be seizures, that is when we found out she had a subdural hemorrhage and it was putting pressure on the brain, triggering seizures. What it came from, who knows? possible vacuum birth injury? She's 17 months now and we still don't know, we may never know but she is happy and healthy now and that's all that matters! Please have your baby looked at. some twitching is normal, that's what the doctors told me before running all the tests. You never though until you have an expert see your child.

Featuring Experts

Dr. Dan Brennan is a Board Certified Pediatrician and Certified Lactation Counselor. He is a graduate of UCLA, Albany Medical College and completed ...More

Helpful Tips

bottle problem
like this website i always check what i want to know about medical well i have a question how can i stop my son drink in the bottle his ... More
Was this Helpful?
8 of 15 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.