Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Rash on 8 month old
nic14120 posted:
I noticed my daughter has small little bumps, some areas are red, on her back. It is mostly between her shoulder blades, but also in a few other spots. It resembles heat rash in the little bumps, but scaly in some areas like exzema. Is it possible to have exzema on the back only? She does not have a fever, no other symptoms, she is teething/ any thoughts? I am in a cool climate, so I cant understand how it would be heat rash...

lenono97 responded:
It could be anything. However, my 4 month old had a rash, mostly on his tummy. We happened to take him in for his 4 month check up around the same time. The pedi said it was a viral rash. She explained he could have gotten a cold and this was how it was showing it self. Nothing we good do for it, just let it run it's course. If it lasts longer then a week, or bothers your daughter, I would probably get it checked out.

RoseLynn02 responded:
My daughter had something similar looking & it was a viral rash, but it could be anything. My nephew has eczema & sometimes his breakouts are only in a specific area & typically on his back. & even in cool climates it could be heat rash if over dressed or if wearing itchy clothes? I would have your pedi look at it just to be sure what it is although if it is viral it will have to run its course although keeping the area dry but also well lotioned can help. If it's eczema they could prescribe her with something for the breakouts. Good luck & let us know what you find out.

Sara DuMond, MD, FAAP replied to RoseLynn02's response:
Hi there! Rashes can be so difficult to decode! You've done a great job considering possible causes. Since it is impossible to diagnose a rash without seeing, I can't give you an idea of what it is likely to be, but I will agree that a viral rash, eczema, and heat rash (yes, even if it's not hot out), are all possible causes. If it persists, have your pediatrician take a look at it, and see if he/she can offer up any suggestions as to what to do for it. Keep us posted!
Dr. DuMond

RoseLynn02 replied to Sara DuMond, MD, FAAP's response:
Thanks. I have 2 LO's , so I've gone down this road of "guess what the rash is this time" a few times already. It is hard to know what it is with out having a doctor physically look at. Even then they sometimes have trouble too. Rashes are difficult things sometimes. But yes please let us know what you find out.

Featuring Experts

Dr. Dan Brennan is a Board Certified Pediatrician and Certified Lactation Counselor. He is a graduate of UCLA, Albany Medical College and completed ...More

Helpful Tips

bottle problem
like this website i always check what i want to know about medical well i have a question how can i stop my son drink in the bottle his ... More
Was this Helpful?
8 of 15 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.