Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
How to treat diarrhea for a 3 month old
Jasmin2boys posted:
my 3 month old has diarrhea and i dont know what i should do and is it ok to give him pedialite

Sara DuMond, MD, FAAP responded:
Hi Jasmin2boys,
I am so sorry to hear that your little guy has diarrhea. The way you should handle diarrhea in a 3 month old, really depends on how much and how often he is having the diarrhea. In many cases, Pedialyte is not necessary and babies can continue to have their regular formula or breast milk. In more severe cases, things like Pedialyte might be recommended. Since young babies can become dehydrated more easily than an older child, it's a good idea to have your baby seen by your pediatrician to make sure he is not losing too much weight and fluid from the diarrhea. Make sure not to give him any over-the-counter diarrhea medicines, as these can be very harmful to babies and children. Hope this helps, and best of luck to you.
Dr. DuMond

sexybell replied to Sara DuMond, MD, FAAP's response:
Sara My Son is 3 months and a week and he has had diarrhea for going on 4 weeks and first it was just diarrhea and now he is not drinking his formula, on top of that he has a bad diaper rash from the diarrhea. Now his pediatrician told me to give him pedialyte for 24 hour and the do half in half and that did not work and now he is not drinking a full 6oz bottle he only drinks 3 1/2 oz. what can i do since he can have over the counter medicine?

Sara DuMond, MD, FAAP replied to sexybell's response:
I am sorry to hear about your litte guy's trouble with diarrhea. Sometimes the best approach to diarrhea in babies is to feed them smaller amounts of liquid more often. So if he normally takes a 6 oz bottle every 4 hours, try a 3 oz bottle every 2-3 hours. In your son's case, since he has had diarrhea for several weeks, and now has a bad diaper rash, I would say it is time to head back to the pediatrician's office for a re-evaluation. Good luck to you.
Dr. DuMond

Featuring Experts

Dr. Dan Brennan is a Board Certified Pediatrician and Certified Lactation Counselor. He is a graduate of UCLA, Albany Medical College and completed ...More

Helpful Tips

Updated Crib Safety GuidelinesExpert
For information on the latest federal crib safety standards, here is a link to important points for parents to be aware of! ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 5 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.