Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Could it be acid reflux?
JMarie_10 posted:
have a 1 month old son- Isaiah. He doesn't sleep well during the day and sometimes at night. His ped changed his formula a few weeks ago to similac sensitive. he is a bit better but when he burps he still swallows whatever is trying to come up. He grunts a lot and has hiccups often. He cries and seems to be uncomfortable. Could this be acid reflux? His ped said monday to try him on similac sensitive for spit up.

RoseLynn02 responded:
Hiccups in babies in normal. My daughters had them all the time. No new baby sleeps well day or night, so you have to be more specific on what you mean by that. Acid reflux or GERD usually is accompanied by a lot of throwing up if that helps. Your baby may just be gassy. That's what you have described sounds like to me.

JMarie_10 replied to RoseLynn02's response:
Thank you so much for the feedback. He isn't throwing up a lot. He will burp and arch his back. When he does this even in his sleep he will wake up and seems to be uncomfortable.

shoxy replied to JMarie_10's response:
To me it sounds like it could be silent acid reflux. The grunting and arching of the back are two classic symptoms. Does his face turn red, especially around the eyes when he is having an episode? My daughter had cycilic silent acid reflux which tends to be much harder on them b/c it burns going up and then burns going back down causing more damage.

FYI- every baby is different but in my daughters case Similac Sensitive made hers much worse.

JMarie_10 replied to shoxy's response:
Yes he does turn red in the face. What has your ped. recommended for your daughter (formula, meds)? Thanks so much for the feedback.

shoxy replied to JMarie_10's response:
Well, the two tips I was given was keep trying formulas untill we found one that worked for her... then after trying about 5 they said just keep her on the one we had her on that she would grow out of it. They admitted it could be lactose intolerance but they had a don't worry about it approach. Easy for someone to say who doesn't deal w/watching your child in pain 24-7 and fighting every feeding. They did put her on Zantac which sort of worked but not enough so the next step was they decided to put her on Prevacid which after doing research that was not going to be put into my child! Warning, if they want your baby on it at such a young age it has to be compounded and there aren't any real standards for the pharmacy to go by therefore it may not work.

After feeling incredibly hopeless I decided to do my own research and not take "she will grow out of it" as an answer. I discovered the formula Baby's Only Lactose Free. Available at Whole Foods or New Seasons Market. It's more expensive then commercial formula but IT WORKS!!!!!! After 3 weeks my daughter was off the Zantac and after 6 weeks she barely spit up at all and has ZERO acid reflux now. She is 6 months and happy and healthy. And it's USDA Organic. I realize this sounds like an ad for the formula but I am that gratefull for it! lol.

I could go on and on about Hexane and commercial formulas but I will spare you. lol.

Sara DuMond, MD, FAAP responded:
Hi JMarie_10,

I am sorry that your son has been struggling with this. It looks like you've gotten some very good feedback so far, but I just wanted to chime in and say that it does sound like your son is probably suffering from acid reflux. All babies suffer from it to some extent (because all babies have a weak lower esophageal sphincter muscle at birth, that allows milk to reflux up out of the stomach into the esophagus). Not all babies display obvious symptoms of it, however. With the back arching that you are describing, the fussiness with feedings, and regurgitation that you hear, it certainly sounds like your son is having some negative effects from the reflux. The approach to treating acid reflux can include things like position-changes (keeping babies upright during and after feedings can help gravity keep the milk down), acid-reducing medications (to minimize the acidity of the stomach contents that refluxes back up...that's what is usually painful for babies), and in some instances, babies' reflux is triggered by an allergy to a component in their formula/breastmilk. Yes, it is true that babies eventually outgrow reflux (as that lower esophageal sphincter muscle gets stronger and stronger and is better able to "close off" the stomach), but in the meantime, there is certainly no reason that your baby needs to suffer in pain. I would absolutely encourage you to explore your options with your pediatrician. I hope you get to the bottom of it soon. Keep us posted!
Dr. DuMond

JMarie_10 replied to shoxy's response:
thanks so much. i will talk with his dr.

JMarie_10 replied to Sara DuMond, MD, FAAP's response:
Thank you so much. i will discuss with his pediatrician.

nipahathila replied to JMarie_10's response:
hi! my son had lactose intolerence too! it was a secondary intolerance-due to antibiotics given in early postnatal period.
the GI tract mucosa is still normalizing by 3mths of age and the sphincter too is being normal by 3mths of age. till then if antibiotics given to child, lactose intolerance occurs.
for that temperory stopping feeding milk helps.milk would aggravate the symptoms-gaseous distension, excessive crying, burping, diarrhoea, anal rashes etc.
stopping feeding milk- breast milk/formula milk would help.i used to give zerolac-that was a soya preparation-lactose free formula milk.the symptoms subsied dramatically. there was one side effect-constipation.but that was an easier symptom.
another thing burping did help. after feeding either breast feeding /bottle feeding keeping the child upright and burping for about 5minutes did help.
in between we made trials by feeding him milk and looked for the acceptability. my son was able to have milk at the age of 4mths.after then he can have all foods that a child of his age can have.
wish u same!!!

Featuring Experts

Dr. Dan Brennan is a Board Certified Pediatrician and Certified Lactation Counselor. He is a graduate of UCLA, Albany Medical College and completed ...More

Helpful Tips

anemia scare
my 16 month old daughter just got some blood work done and the results came back and showed she was anemic. We are very concerned, scared, ... More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 8 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.