Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
First Baby
candy352 posted:
Hello All!!! I gave birth to a beautiful baby girl Saturday night. I was wondering how often should a newborn get a sponge bath. I know she won't need one everyday, but I don't know how often I should give her one.

Anon_48326 responded:
Congratulations! I did every other day with my two girls, but even every 3 days would be fine with a newborn. Their skin is still so new and sensitive. You can just play it by ear and go on an as needed basis.

shoxy responded:
I asked my pediatrician being I am a new mom too and she said twice a week is fine. It's worked great for my daughter and doesn't dry her skin to much.

lenono97 responded:
I give my son a bath twice a week. He obviously doesn't do anything to get dirty and I clean his bottom well after every diaper change. So I figure, at this point, more often isn't necessary. As he gets older and starts crawling, getting in to more, etc, I will increase to every other day or every third day.

kay_kay75 responded:
I have given my daughter a bath everyday since we came home from the hospital, it is part of our nighttime routine. She relaxes after the bath and knows it is time for bed. I use extra lotion on her to prevent dry skin but personally I would rather spend a little extra money on lotion than on diaper rash cream or having her in pain from the rash. But you should do what makes you feel comfortable.

GermaphobeTeacher responded:
We have always done baths every other day with our daughter. I read that is best until they are old enough to really get dirty. People are always saying how beautiful and smooth her skin is, and I have never had any trouble with her getting diaper rashes. She has only ever had one diaper rash from using LUVs diapers.

Featuring Experts

Dr. Dan Brennan is a Board Certified Pediatrician and Certified Lactation Counselor. He is a graduate of UCLA, Albany Medical College and completed ...More

Helpful Tips

anemia scare
my 16 month old daughter just got some blood work done and the results came back and showed she was anemic. We are very concerned, scared, ... More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 8 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.