Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
What to do about thrush
Anon_56610 posted:
I have a 2 month old baby and am exclusively breastfeeding. I think we might be developing a case of thrush. I noticed that my baby has some white stuff on the tongue, has been more fussy lately, and I have had some itching/burning feelings on and in my breasts. Does anyone know how to deal with this? Are there any home remedies or natural cures?

Sara DuMond, MD, FAAP responded:
I am sorry to hear that you are battling with thrush. That's exactly what this sounds like. It is extremely common in newborns and breastfeeding mothers, so you are definitely not alone. As far as home remedies are concerned, first and foremost, be sure to allow your breasts adequate time to dry in between feedings. Let-down on the opposite side, leaking in between feedings, and generous milk production, and non-breathable breast pads can all contribute to your breasts staying moist for long periods of time, and yeast (thrush) loves to grow in moist places. As a natural treatment, many mothers choose to use gentian violet. As the name suggests, it is a purple-colored topical treatment that can be applied directly to the nipple area, and is sometimes effective in getting rid of yeast. It is available without a prescription, over-the-counter. Some cases of thrush can be a bit pesky to get rid of, and many pediatricians recommend treating both mother and baby with a prescription antifungal medication. Regardless of which route you choose, it is important to treat both the mother and the baby, to effectively get rid of it. Also be sure to sterilize any artificial nipples (bottles, pacifiers) that your little one may come into contact with. Hope that helps! Keep us posted!
Dr. DuMond

BreastfeedingIssuesandSolution responded:
Hey Anon! I have breastfed 3 babies and out of all of them, only two of them had thrush mouth. In order to get rid of my babies thrush in a week or less, I used.....YOGURT. Yes! Plain yogurt. You can go here to get info on how to use yogurt to treat thrush: http://www.breastfeeding-issues-and-solutions.com/thrush-treatment.html . It's really simple and easy to apply!

Featuring Experts

Dr. Dan Brennan is a Board Certified Pediatrician and Certified Lactation Counselor. He is a graduate of UCLA, Albany Medical College and completed ...More

Helpful Tips

Updated Crib Safety GuidelinesExpert
For information on the latest federal crib safety standards, here is a link to important points for parents to be aware of! ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 5 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.