Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Rubbing her ear
EvanBeachy posted:
My near ten month old daughter rubs her ear a lot....she had a cold a month or two ago, and I was worried she may have an ear infection. She didn't, but the rubbing of the ear has returned quite a bit recently. Is this more likely to be part of her "habit" when she is tired/frustrated/cranky or should I get her in to the doctor for another look?

GermaphobeTeacher responded:
It could be that she is teething. A lot of babies will play with their ears when they are teething. My daughter does that. As long as she doesn't have a fever, I wouldn't worry about it since you have had it checked once already.

candy352 responded:
I agree. If she doesn't have a fever that accompanies the ear rubbing, then she should be fine. Some babies grab at their ears for different reasons. I was worried when my baby did this and she is a little over 2 weeks old, but she only does it when she is hungry and she doesn't have a fever.
Candi 26, Dennis 37, DD Chastity 12/10/11

cshyronia responded:
My son just had to have tubes put in his ears. He never got a fever. I just noticed he constantly rubbed his ears. Sometimes he had in infection sometimes not. This last time when they decided to put tube he took 4 different antibotics and still had the infection. no fever

Featuring Experts

Dr. Dan Brennan is a Board Certified Pediatrician and Certified Lactation Counselor. He is a graduate of UCLA, Albany Medical College and completed ...More

Helpful Tips

Updated Crib Safety GuidelinesExpert
For information on the latest federal crib safety standards, here is a link to important points for parents to be aware of! ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 5 found this helpful

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.