Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
please help need to prove some one wrong!!!!!!!
kaywhylie posted:
hi y'all! my name is Kylie i have a 4 month old named Riley. I'm a first time mom so this is all new to me. Can some one please tell me what the long term effects of forcing a baby to stand too soon are??I've heard it can cause growth plate problems,spine problems,and the child to be bow legged. Not only do i need others opinions but i also need proof! like an article or something of the sort. my mother in law keeps forcing my daughter to bare weight on her legs, i have yelled at her multiple times and she continues to disrespect me by continuing to make my lo stand! I feel i should mention that my daughter is big for her age but she comes by it naturally i was a 8 lb baby and my husband was 10lb 5oz. i'm now to the point where she is no longer aloud to touch my daughter. I get that she has raised her kids with no problem but this is MY child i want to learn from my mistakes when it comes to raising her. please help i'm to the point im about to rip her head off!!

Anon_395 responded:
Letting a baby bear weight on her legs does not cause a her to be bow legged, or have any other problems... this is an old wives tale. Many babies (especially when they start walking) appear bow legged for awhile, but his is natural, and will correct itself over time.
That being said, if you feel uncomfortable with something that someone is doing with your baby, you need to be stern and put your foot down. She's your child and if you don't want someone doing something, then they need to stop. Maybe sit down with your mom and explain that you don't like this and you would appreciate it if she would wait untl your daughter is older to do it.

kaywhylie replied to Anon_395's response:
have tried talking to her and its like talking to a brick wall..my child is almost 20 lbs at four months letting her bare all that weight just doesnt seem right

lenono97 responded:
What does your pedi say? I think that's the best place to get your answer in this situation. Personally, I don't see anything wrong with babies bareing weight on their legs. In fact, my pedi asked if my son could at his 4 month appointment. My son enjoys putting weight on his legs and "jumping". I believe it's important for muscle development and strengthening and is part of the early stages for gaining the ability to eventually walk.

Anon_52281 responded:
Our pediatrician specifically told us that it is fine to let babies stand if they enjoy it. My daughter loved to stand all the time from two months on. He said that it used to cause problems because of a lack of proper nutrition (scurvy, in particular), but that it is totally fine now. Your child will not be bow legged or have any other health problems from standing. If you don't let your child stand at all, it may actually delay her development. You can always talk to your pediatrician, but that is what ours told us. My daughter was pulling up to stuff on her own at 6 months, and has never had any problems.

kaywhylie replied to Anon_52281's response:
have no problem with letting her put some weight on her legs but not her full weight...thats what i cant seem to get through her thick skull some is fine but i walked into the living room the other day and she had my daughter standing on her legs while she adjusted her bib so essentially she holding her up by her bib thats what pissed me off the most that and the fact that she deliberately disrespected me

Anon_52281 replied to kaywhylie's response:
I don't think that she was deliberately trying to disrespect you. She was doing something that most people wouldn't think twice about, so she probably didn't even realize she was doing it. Unless she is doing something that will actually harm your child, which she's not, you need to learn to pick your battles. At that age, my daughter (who was a similar size) loved holding our fingers and jumping up and down on her own. The doctor even saw her do it and didn't see any problem with her bearing her own weight. Good luck and I hope you can come to some sort of understanding with your mother in law.

phoenix31674 responded:
My son started trying to stand from the time he was a few hours old. He was 8lbs 4oz at birth. He just loved pushing up against you when snuggled against your chest and 'jumping'. Once he could start gripping with his hands he liked to hold onto your hand and stand up. He was probably about 2-3 months old at the point. He was walking about 11 months, but would scoot around furniture around 8 months. He's perfectly fine at 15 months.

DD was 9lbs 4oz and she was probably 3-4 months when we started doing standing while holding onto our hands - it was about the time she could hold her head up.

Definitely bring it up with your doctor if you are concerned, but standing is a very important developmental milestone and practicing now helps her build her core muscles so she can stand on her own and transition to walking. I never read anything about standing being bad. If it bothers her, she would cry. If she's not crying, I wouldn't worry.

Featuring Experts

Dr. Dan Brennan is a Board Certified Pediatrician and Certified Lactation Counselor. He is a graduate of UCLA, Albany Medical College and completed ...More

Helpful Tips

The What, When, How, and Why of Babies Sleeping Through the NightExpert
I absolutely love the discussions in this newborn community! I have noticed lots of discussions lately about sleep issues in babies that ... More
Was this Helpful?
18 of 24 found this helpful

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.