Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
8 month old vomiting
christydawnharris posted:
My 8 month old son is vomiting after almost every feeding. He has also had some constipation off and on for a few weeks. He does not seem to feel bad, he shows no signs of dehydration, he is a healthy weight and is gaining weight regularly, but he projectile vomits almost every time he eats. The constipation started a couple of weeks after he started eating solids (at 6 months) and the vomiting started just about two weeks ago. We took him to the pediatrician but because his bowel movements have not stopped altogether and he doesn't seem to be in pain they weren't very concerned. It also does not seem to matter what he eats. He vomits after formula (we switched formulas and it didn't make any difference) and fruit and juice (we started giving him juice to combat the constipation, per his ped's orders) I have not started giving him meats yet, because I have been worried that it would exacerbate the constipation. I am mystified and my doctor is pretty much no help. Should I be worried? Could it be lactose intolerance? He breastfed until he was 5 months and never had a reaction to my milk.

shoxy responded:
After every feeding of what? Could be an allergy. Also for the constipation, I would offer 2-4 oz of just water a day. I offer it w/each solid feeding my daughter has and she hasn't had any problems sence.(She had constipation before I learned this) I wouldn't give juice if the water works. Juice is just sugar basically, being that it's pasturized. When it's pasturized all the nutrients have been taken out.

libbybeard responded:
I was wondering if you found out what was bothering your son? My third daughter is 7 mos old and we are having the same problems. Startinsolids at 6 mos she loved eating vegetables but was getting constipated. I started adding prunes but they were no help. After relieving the constipation I gave her some fruits and she started throwing up. Now she will not touch foods. DR tested for allergies so we will hear those results soon but I just have this feeling something is not right with her intestines...

christydawnharris replied to libbybeard's response:
Unfortunately, we were never able to get a definitive answer as to what exactly was going on with him. The good news is that he is now a normal, healthy two year old. He is at an average weight and height, and has no problems with his teeth (something I worried about because of the vomiting.) He still has occasional bouts of constipation, which is easily managed with Miralax. Very, very rarely he will vomit when eating if he puts too much food in his mouth and his gag reflex is triggered. We and our pediatrician decided that the vomiting is probably a sensory issue, as he refuses foods with certain textures, as did his father when he was a child. The constipation runs in my husband's family as well.
I hope some of this is helpful to you, and I hope you find some good answers for your daughter. Good luck!

cloughman responded:
My baby just came out of NICU it sounds like acid reflux combined with IRON irritation to the stomach which also causes constipation add a drop of prune juice to the breast milk or formula also keep him upright for at least 30 ,mins after eating
if he is eating too fast this can also cause vomiting give him ten min breaks in between ounces also we raise up his mattress by putting something underneath to put it at a slight slant to help the reflux and prevent vomiting I'm not a DR just sharing information from NICU because I had similar problems with my baby hope this helps also be careful with certain juices unless you are juicing them fresh research which ones are hard to digest for infants and I would hold off on meat as well at least at this age just my opinion good luck

Featuring Experts

Dr. Dan Brennan is a Board Certified Pediatrician and Certified Lactation Counselor. He is a graduate of UCLA, Albany Medical College and completed ...More

Helpful Tips

The What, When, How, and Why of Babies Sleeping Through the NightExpert
I absolutely love the discussions in this newborn community! I have noticed lots of discussions lately about sleep issues in babies that ... More
Was this Helpful?
19 of 25 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.