Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
my 2 month old not eating good anymore
JESSBEAL posted:
since about a week it has got worse each day she will not eat like she normally was she usually eats 3 to 4 oz shes 2 months old we had a tsp of rice a oz.. and all the sudden she is only eating 1 to 2 oz every 6 hours she usually eats every 4. when i fed her she will get to the 1 or 2 oz and then start moving her head back and forth to get the bottle out of her mouth what does it sound like to yall? the doctor gave her zantac today to see if it is reflux i have only gave it to her one time so far... please help

Amelia_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Jess!

I'm so sorry for the late response and hope that the family is doing well!

Is your pediatrician suggesting you feed your LO rice cereal? Usually solids don't begin until babies are 4-6 months old, as seen in this article and slideshow . If not, I would ask your doctor about this..

Also, according to this Baby Development article , "You'll know when your baby is hungry because babies will start to root (move her head back and forth, searching for a breast) or get fussy and turn their mouth when you touch their cheek."

Maybe your LO is hungry and just have trouble eating? Please, let us know how things are going and what the doctor has said. Hope to be of some help!

Take care!
Amelia

Sara DuMond, MD, FAAP responded:
Hi JESSBEAL,
So sorry to hear that your little one has been struggling with her eating. I hope by now that you've found an answer. Your description of her eating pattern certainly sounds suspicious for acid reflux. Zantac is just one of several antacid medications that are sometimes helpful for babies with acid reflux. Other tips that sometimes help, include keeping baby in a fairly upright position during and after feedings, taking frequent breaks during the first ounce to 2 ounces to burp, sit upright, expel air/gas, and sometimes making a formula change, in certain situations, but only under the advisement of your doctor. Keep us updated as to how she is doing!
Dr. DuMond

Featuring Experts

Dr. Dan Brennan is a Board Certified Pediatrician and Certified Lactation Counselor. He is a graduate of UCLA, Albany Medical College and completed ...More

Helpful Tips

Updated Crib Safety GuidelinesExpert
For information on the latest federal crib safety standards, here is a link to important points for parents to be aware of! ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 5 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.