Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Purplish-Grey Tongue
acornehl posted:
My son, who is 6 months old, is currently on Omnicef (the generic version) for an ear infection and also has RSV. He is being given Xopenex twice a day for the wheezing and respiratory symptoms. I noticed today that his tongue and soft palette are a blue/purplish grey color. He is not exhibiting any other symptoms of oxygen deficiencies and is well hydrated. What could be the cause? It seemed to be worse at the end of the day.

Amelia_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi acornehl!

I hope you all are doing okay!

I'm not a health professional and, therefore, can't promise that this is nothing at all or something serious. The best advice is to see your pediatrician, since you are not fully sure if you're little one is in trouble or not.

Some LOs do get blood blisters on their tongues from sucking, though why take a chance if you are unsure.

Look forward to hearing back and please, take care!
Amelia

Sara DuMond, MD, FAAP responded:
Hi acronehl,
I am sorry to hear that your little guy has been sick. I am unaware of any side effect from Omnicef or Xopenex that would discolor the tongue, and since oxygen problems can be very subtle in babies, it definitely is important to have him seen by his pediatrician. I hope by now that the issue has resolved, but if not, please get him in to be evaluated.
Dr. DuMond

Featuring Experts

Dr. Dan Brennan is a Board Certified Pediatrician and Certified Lactation Counselor. He is a graduate of UCLA, Albany Medical College and completed ...More

Helpful Tips

The What, When, How, and Why of Babies Sleeping Through the NightExpert
I absolutely love the discussions in this newborn community! I have noticed lots of discussions lately about sleep issues in babies that ... More
Was this Helpful?
18 of 24 found this helpful

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.