Skip to content
pumping/ breast feeding help
mamas77 posted:
hello need help to know how much i should be producing. i am getting milk but only about two ounces out of my left breast and about one and a half ounces from the other breast. is that normal? i have to pump til my baby gets out of the nicu. i guess with my first child i didnt have to pump so i dont know this stuff. any advice would help thank you.

mathgypsy2 responded:
I'm sorry your baby is in the nicu. Most women who pump get 1/2-2 oz at a pumping, and pump 8 times a day. The more you pump the more you can get, if you feel you need more milk, pump for 5 min. after you quit having milk come out. I pumped with my first because she was in the hospital longer than I was. It was not easy, but I'm glad I hung in there and was eventually able to nurse her. My favorite web site is http://www.kellymom.com/ It has lots of info and great forums for questions. Hope this helps

cshyronia responded:
Hope Your baby is doing good. I went through the exact same thing.with my milk . My baby went to nicu 3 days after being born for Jaundice and dehydration. The most i ever was able to pump was like 2 oz all day. I did it for 3 months but also gave formula because i was so scared he would get dehyrated again. I was so jealous of my cousin who could sit and pump 2 8 oz bottles in 1 sitting.. I hope pumping gets better for you it can be really fustrated. Best of luck

mamas77 responded:
thank you guys for your input. yeah its frustrating but i keep telling myself at least a little bit will still help him grow. the nurse said that the milk is rich by looking at the color and stuff so i think of it as condensed milk. lol again thank you

Featuring Experts

Dr. Dan Brennan is a Board Certified Pediatrician and Certified Lactation Counselor. He is a graduate of UCLA, Albany Medical College and completed ...More

Helpful Tips

Crib Safety Tips
CRIB SAFETY TIPS if you have a used crib or are considering buying one: Make sure it has no corner posts. older infants can catch ... More
Was this Helpful?
11 of 23 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.