Includes Expert Content
Baby with a fever :(
MommalovesMady posted:
My daughter was seeming really sleepy and took a nap and then about an hour after her nap i noticed she was feeling really warm. I took her temperature inder the arm and it was 100.6. i Googled taking a correct temp and it says that the armpit way can have the degree lower by 2 degrees. i gave her tylenol so ill wait to see if it comes down but im starting to worry. she has never had a fever and she is my first baby. any advice?

earleyml1012 responded:
Try a rectal temp and if it's over 102 call the pedi. If not, just keep giving her tylenol and keep her comfy. If she's stuffy, prop her mattress with a pillow and run a cool mist humidifier. We run one all winter in all the bedrooms b/c the heat can really dry out the sinuses. If her fever increases and she's not eating, then I'd also call the pedi. However, a low grade fever with a cold is nothing to worry about unless it lasts longer than 3-4 days.

Sara DuMond, MD, FAAP responded:
Hi MommalovesMady,
There are few things more distressing than when your baby gets her first fever. I don't see where you mention how old she is, but if she is under 3 months of age and has a rectal temperature greater to or higher than 100.4, please contact your pediatrician. If she's older than that, and seems to be acting fine, eating fine, etc, and just has a fever, it is perfectly safe to watch her for a few days, and administer a weight-appropriate dose of fever-reducing medicine. Fevers that are accompanied by lethargy, trouble breathing, poor eating and drinking, or that last more than 3-5 days always need to be evaluated by a pedatrician. Lastly, armpit temperatures are a "screening tool" only, but not always accurate when you truly suspect a fever. Please monitor her fever with a digital rectal thermometer, as this is the most reliable indication of a baby's true body temperature. Hope this helps!
Dr. DuMond