Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Baby with a fever :(
MommalovesMady posted:
My daughter was seeming really sleepy and took a nap and then about an hour after her nap i noticed she was feeling really warm. I took her temperature inder the arm and it was 100.6. i Googled taking a correct temp and it says that the armpit way can have the degree lower by 2 degrees. i gave her tylenol so ill wait to see if it comes down but im starting to worry. she has never had a fever and she is my first baby. any advice?

earleyml1012 responded:
Try a rectal temp and if it's over 102 call the pedi. If not, just keep giving her tylenol and keep her comfy. If she's stuffy, prop her mattress with a pillow and run a cool mist humidifier. We run one all winter in all the bedrooms b/c the heat can really dry out the sinuses. If her fever increases and she's not eating, then I'd also call the pedi. However, a low grade fever with a cold is nothing to worry about unless it lasts longer than 3-4 days.

Sara DuMond, MD, FAAP responded:
Hi MommalovesMady,
There are few things more distressing than when your baby gets her first fever. I don't see where you mention how old she is, but if she is under 3 months of age and has a rectal temperature greater to or higher than 100.4, please contact your pediatrician. If she's older than that, and seems to be acting fine, eating fine, etc, and just has a fever, it is perfectly safe to watch her for a few days, and administer a weight-appropriate dose of fever-reducing medicine. Fevers that are accompanied by lethargy, trouble breathing, poor eating and drinking, or that last more than 3-5 days always need to be evaluated by a pedatrician. Lastly, armpit temperatures are a "screening tool" only, but not always accurate when you truly suspect a fever. Please monitor her fever with a digital rectal thermometer, as this is the most reliable indication of a baby's true body temperature. Hope this helps!
Dr. DuMond

Featuring Experts

Dr. Dan Brennan is a Board Certified Pediatrician and Certified Lactation Counselor. He is a graduate of UCLA, Albany Medical College and completed ...More

Helpful Tips

anemia scare
my 16 month old daughter just got some blood work done and the results came back and showed she was anemic. We are very concerned, scared, ... More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 8 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.