Skip to content
Doesn't Like Taste Formula!
lbcash posted:
My son is now 7 weeks old and he has been on four different formulas. He was super gassy and constipated. All of the formula changes WERE advised by the pediatrician. He was initially on Similac Advance and was super consitpated and couldn't pass gas. After a week he was switched to Similac Sensitive and he loved it, but he was still just as constipated and gassy as with the Advance. The doctor suggested Alimentum and he hated it, but it fixed the constipation and he was able to pass his gas easily. After a week he refused the alimentum completley so the doc said to mix the Sensitive and Alimentum and he took it great, but you can't continue to mix formulas like that because they are not meant to be mixed.. The doctor now has him on Enfamil Gentlease and it works perfect. He will take it, but he doesn't love it. Before (with Alimentum and Sensitve mix) he was drinking rather quickly 3-4oz each bottle. Now it is a struggle to get him to take 3oz. and a lot of times I can only get him to take 2oz. during an hour struggle. Any advice on how to make it taste better? Or just advice in general? He is no longer in severe pain with his gas (he would scream with pain not cry) so I'd really like him to stay on Gentlease.

P.S. Sorry so lengthy! I couldn't breastfeed because I have Crohn's and I take meds that prohibit me from breastfeeding.

lenono97 responded:
I would try a larger nipple. I assume you are using the "small" size. I would try the "medium" size and see how he does. Other than that, it sounds like you are working closely with your pedi, which is a good thing. It just might take some time and patience. Good luck!

lbcash replied to lenono97's response:
Thanks for your reply. After I posted this my son began to vomit, not spit up but vomit the Gentlease. I called my pedi after hours and she had me to stop the formula and feed him pedialyte. It turned out not to be a virus but an intolerance to the formula. I had assumed they switched us from mixing the Alimentum and Sensitive because you couldn't mix them. But, they had us to change because they thought I had WIC and couldn't get it approved. But once they understood that they said that it was perfectly fine to mix them if it works. We now have him at 3 parts Alimentum and 1 part Similac Sensitive and he is doing great. A little gassy, but all babies are. Like my pedi said you have to meet in the middle somewhere and you can't fix everything.

lenono97 replied to lbcash's response:
Glad you found something that works! I am sure it's a huge relief.

Featuring Experts

Dr. Dan Brennan is a Board Certified Pediatrician and Certified Lactation Counselor. He is a graduate of UCLA, Albany Medical College and completed ...More

Helpful Tips

The What, When, How, and Why of Babies Sleeping Through the NightExpert
I absolutely love the discussions in this newborn community! I have noticed lots of discussions lately about sleep issues in babies that ... More
Was this Helpful?
21 of 27 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.