Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Baby eats all night long...
Quintessa2 posted:
Hello I'm wondering if anyone has a solution to get my baby to eat more during the day and less at night. He is 4 months old now. During a 24 hour period he eats about 35 oz. 5-6 oz. of breastmilk at a time. However, he will only eat about 7 ounces during the day and the rest is consumed between 7pm and 5am. He is eating every two hours at night. Why doesn't he eat during the day? How can I get him to eat more during the day? Should I be worried about changing his habbits or will he naturally switch over to daytime eating? And when?

I have started to give him a little cereal it doesn't seem to legenthen the amount of time between feedings. What else should I do?

Tired...

Ihgirl1066 responded:
Haha tired i feel ya its now been 26 months since ive slept through the night.

Is he awake during the day or is he sleeping alot? Both of mine were/are 40 oz plus a day since birth, but they just ate all day and all night. It did get a lil better with my son when he started on baby food. And now my daughter who is four months seems to do good one night get up twice to eat and the next its 4 or 5 times. Think they just outgrow it, my son didnt sleep through night until 19 months up until then he got up 1 or more times a night and had a bottle, nothing else would get him back to sleep. One night he slept all night and has since.

Quintessa2 replied to Ihgirl1066's response:
He is taking a few breif naps during the day but that is it. He just wakes up 5 time a night to eat and goes back to sleep. I just don't understand why he doesn't eat during the day instead. I can't get him to eat during the day for the life of me. I was thinking about trying to feed him only once tonight and then seeing if he will eat tomorrow. But I'm sure that will go over badly since he will be starving and it seems like a mean thing to do. Ugh! What to do?

I guess just wait for him to outgrow this...

shoxy replied to Quintessa2's response:
If it was me, I would start slowly taking away night feedings. I did that w/my daughter and now at 8 months she sleeps through the night except w/the occasional wake up, but she only get's a pacifier when she does. That will hopefully nudge your LO to eat more during the day.

ButterflyBaby1107 replied to Quintessa2's response:
Is he bottlefed during the day and breastfed at night? If that is the case maybe he just doesn't like the bottle

Sara DuMond, MD, FAAP responded:
Hi Quintessa2,
I am so sorry to hear that you're having to endure such sleep deprivation. That can be brutal! It can be so tricky to figure out feeding patterns with babies. Sometimes introducing cereal helps, but often times, it doesn't make a huge difference in terms of filling them up more. I would tend to agree with one of the posts here that suggested just cutting out his nighttime feedings. You're right - it won't go over well, but it's not a mean thing to do, and certainly not dangerous from a medical perspective. I'm going to post a link to a post I made about this awhile back. You may find it to be helpful. Best of luck to you!
http://forums.webmd.com/3/newborn-and-baby-exchange/tip/40
Dr. DuMond

Quintessa2 replied to Sara DuMond, MD, FAAP's response:
Thanks all! We only do bottle feedings so he's fine with that. I tried cereal but that didn't make a bit of difference. I will try doing less feedings at night starting tonight. Thanks for the suggestions... Wish me luck!

earleyml1012 replied to Sara DuMond, MD, FAAP's response:
Sara DuMond - question. My baby about two weeks ago began sleeping through the next. Then last weekend suddenly stopped. The first night we just rocked her to sleep and she was fine until the morning. Then the next night she wasn't content with that b/c she didn't eat much during the day (we think she had a stomach bug) so we fed her. Well a week later and we're still dealing with this. At nap and bedtime we feed her and put her right into her crib, she's still kind of wake just very sleepy. Last night I tried let her cry for about 5 minutes but DH woke up saying we needed to feed her. Our concern about letting her cry is will she wake up our 3 year old? In this approach would you recommend us going in after 5 minutes just to give her a pacifier? She's a little over 4 months old and is getting solids twice a day, so I honestly don't think she's hungry. Any thoughts?

Sara DuMond, MD, FAAP replied to earleyml1012's response:
Hi earlyml1012,
Great questions! In your particular situation, it sounds like your a reasonable option to offer her pacifier to her (better than offering a feeding) if you're concerned about her crying waking up your older child. I will say, however, that speaking from experience, I had to let all three of my children cry it out at some point in their babyhood, and my children are spaced exactly 2 years apart, with bedrooms side by side. Neither of the older siblings woke up with the baby's crying, and I suspect that if they had, it wouldn't have been a long, drawn-out issue. Most of the time, babies only have to "cry it out" for 3 or 4 nights tops, before they're back in their all-night sleeping rhythm. In my opinion, risking waking the older sibling for a couple of nights is well worth the payoff of having a well-rested baby who sleeps through the night. I've never heard of any family, who followed that advice, only to have their older child develop sleep problems as a result. Hope that helps!
Dr. DuMond

alicialaycock replied to Sara DuMond, MD, FAAP's response:
Dr. DuMond I need some advice!! I have asked my childs pediatritian and they all say its my choice when to quit breastfeeding and its ok for them to eat at night. My family says its going to cause him weight problems. My son is 14 months old and wakes up 3-5 times to be breastfed and eats solids during the day and drinks breastmilk. I want to quit the night time feedings but should I quit breastfeeding all together or just at night. Which would be easier to do? I have tried at night to give him water in his sippy sometimes he takes it most of the time he don't so I breastfeed him. Should I not give him anything at night?

Featuring Experts

Dr. Dan Brennan is a Board Certified Pediatrician and Certified Lactation Counselor. He is a graduate of UCLA, Albany Medical College and completed ...More

Helpful Tips

anemia scare
my 16 month old daughter just got some blood work done and the results came back and showed she was anemic. We are very concerned, scared, ... More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 8 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.