Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Noisy Newborn
peanut_1991 posted:
My son Dylan is 21 days old. He is the best baby anyone could ever ask for. He hardly ever cries and doesn't get too upset about anything. But when he sleeps he is so noisy. He moans and grunts and yells out... He seems so distressed sometimes... I'm starting to get worried about him. He just doesn't seem comfortable. It's almost like he's in pain. But he never sounds like that when he's awake. He is always really gassy... But when he's awake he may get a little fussy from the gas but he never sounds like this.

Does anyone elses babies do this? Is it normal?

lenono97 responded:
Yes, it's normal. Both of my kids did that at that age. I asked the pedi about it when my daughter was that age. They grow out of it. Unfortunately, my 6 month old is starting to do it again.

jlbwondering35 responded:
LOL! Yep, I had to move my little guy and myself into the guest bedroom so my husband could sleep. He was SO loud! It eventually goes away

Quintessa2 responded:
My baby does that and has since he was born. He is now 5 months old. From what I have read it is normal. They are learning how to control their bodies and during sleep they are out of control. My LO sometimes cries for no reason at night kicks around flails his arms makes noises all kinds of crazy gestures. Sometimes I wonder if he gets any sleep. I know I don't. I started swaddling him again recently and that has helped. Maybe you could try a nice tight swaddle and pacifier and see how that goes?

Sara DuMond, MD, FAAP responded:
Congratulations on the birth of your son! You have had several parents chime in here and offer words of reassurance, and I thought it might help to hear from a pediatrician, that YES, this is completely normal. One of the parents replied that swaddling helped her newborn, and I would echo that it would be worth trying swaddling, if you haven't already. It sounds like your little guy is otherwise doing great, so don't sweat the grunting and noises in his sleep. Best of luck to you!
Dr. DuMond

Featuring Experts

Dr. Dan Brennan is a Board Certified Pediatrician and Certified Lactation Counselor. He is a graduate of UCLA, Albany Medical College and completed ...More

Helpful Tips

The What, When, How, and Why of Babies Sleeping Through the NightExpert
I absolutely love the discussions in this newborn community! I have noticed lots of discussions lately about sleep issues in babies that ... More
Was this Helpful?
18 of 24 found this helpful

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.