Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Raw skin under my baby's neck
An_243862 posted:
My 16 week old son has raw skin under his neck. What should I do to remedy the skin?

tchance55 responded:
I would say just to keep it clean and ask your pediatrician. You could also keep it moisturized and to prevent the skin from sticking which is probably the cause for the raw skin. A baby's neck is the most challenging part since they have all the little rolls and are unable to stretch it out for it to get any air. Also I would recommend baby powder as best you can after bathtime to absorb the hard to get water and reduce any friction from dryness.

Quintessa2 replied to tchance55's response:
It's exzema! My baby has the same problem. Baby powder can cause yeast to grow and dry out the skin. You do not want to do that it will make it worse. Just gently clean it every single day. I lay my baby over his boppy with his head back to get into the folds. Be gentle and it will work.

Allaya9 responded:
My son has the same problem since he's got the rolls going on lol. We found that cleaning it really good, you have to lift up the folds which he fights sometimes, when he bathes then making sure it's dry has worked. Also, when it was really bad we used aquaphor to help the skin heal. A bib also helps during the day since my little man is a drool machine. Good luck hope it gets better.

earleyml1012 responded:
It's probably ecezma...DD has this same issue. Our pedi recommended putting Cortaid on her neck twice a day. I do it before bed and first thing in the morning. It's not completely gone but it's a TON better. You just need a little. We tried aquaphor and while I love that stuff for diaper rash, it didn't help with DD's redness under her neck and on her checks/chin. Cortaid worked great in just two applications. By the time summer comes, you probably won't have to deal with this anymore. DD#1 had the same issue until it got warmer. Oh the joys of winter babies!

Featuring Experts

Dr. Dan Brennan is a Board Certified Pediatrician and Certified Lactation Counselor. He is a graduate of UCLA, Albany Medical College and completed ...More

Helpful Tips

anemia scare
my 16 month old daughter just got some blood work done and the results came back and showed she was anemic. We are very concerned, scared, ... More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 8 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.