Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
newborn won't eat
JulzAunt posted:
My niece had a hard pregnacy. He placenta was down so they had to give her a c-section. They scared her and said the baby might have mental problems. They said the head was measuring small. He came out 6 pounds and they say he is healthy. He's had blood work done, they said thats ok. He doesn't want to breast feed or take the bottle. He doesn't want to wake up to eat. His cries are different than what we are accustom to. Should we worry?

Sara DuMond, MD, FAAP responded:
You sound like a very concerned aunt, so first off, I'd say your nephew is one very lucky little guy to have such concerned family members! Your niece experienced what sounds like placenta previa, where the placenta is positioned in a location that blocks the opening of the cervix, making a c-section the safest method of delivery. It is so hard to say what the cause is behind his disinterest in eating and his unique cries. Much of the early issues in babies depend on multiple things: Was he early or full-term but just on the small side? Were they concerned at all about infection? Did the doctors decide to do the c-section early because of specific concerns? Many times it takes several days to sort through these issues, so as hard as it is, the best advice is to wait, and let the doctors caring for the baby investigate all angles. I wish I could offer more specific guidance, but hang in there. It sounds like your nephew is in very good hands.
Dr. DuMond

Featuring Experts

Dr. Dan Brennan is a Board Certified Pediatrician and Certified Lactation Counselor. He is a graduate of UCLA, Albany Medical College and completed ...More

Helpful Tips

anemia scare
my 16 month old daughter just got some blood work done and the results came back and showed she was anemic. We are very concerned, scared, ... More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 8 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.