Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Milk dried up
Noodlesbaby11 posted:
Hi everyone. I am having a very difficult time dealing with this and thought I'd look to you guys for some answers. My lo is 4 1/2 months old, and 3 weeks ago, due to a great deal of stress in my life, my milk dried up. I was hoping to breastfeed atleast until he was 6 months, and this happened with my 1st lo also from working a huge amount of hours and unable to pump consistantly. My baby now has RSV, and I swear if I would have somehow found a way to keep my milk, this wouldn't have happened. I feel it is my fault he is sick. I am so devestated over this and don't know what to do. Any tips on getting over this would be greatly appreciated.

lenono97 responded:
It's not your fault your baby got sick. Kids get sick. Period. There are germs everywhere and sometimes even the best efforts of trying to stay heathly isn't good enough. He will get better. You need to stay positive and focus on getting him healthy again. I am sure before you know it everything will be back to normal.

shoxy responded:
It's not you fault at all!!! Like lenono97 said, they get sick, it happens. W/my daughter I wasn't able to EVER make more then 2oz and that's even w/trying to pump and breastfeed to build up but it never happened. I went through what I call "the loss of my breastmilk". I went through the stages of guilt, anger, sadness, then finally realizing that it wasn't my fault and became OK w/it. You are probably feeling the same and now that your sweet baby is sick you get double guilt. BUT it's not your fault!!!! And I'm so sorry he is sick. Hope he gets better soon and the guilt phase subsides quickly! As new moms we don't need the extra stress of guilt.

Allaya9 responded:
I agree with the other ppl, it's not your fault kids and babies get sick. Stop beating yourself up and with your milk drying up that happens too. I wanted so badly to breastfeed my little guy but he ended up spending 11 days in the NICU and during that time got bottlefed, so when we got home he rejected the breast. I had so much guilt and anger over that but I had to let it go, and now he's a happy 6 month old.

Ihgirl1066 replied to Allaya9's response:
My babies were horrible breastfeeders, i gave up quickly, i felt bad for a while thinking i wasnt doing what was best. But my son in now almost 23 months and my daughter is 5.5 months and you know what, neither of my kids have been sick yet, except for a cold. I felt so guilty when i gave it up that my kids would get sick and in fact all the girls that BF their babies that are the same age as mine, there kids are always getting sick, i dont think BF has anything to do with babies and illnesses. You'll get over it an move on and realize that there are more important things to worry about

earleyml1012 responded:
As others have said, it's not your fault that your LO got sick. I had a friend who only BF for the first year and her LO was sick all the time. Granted my LO is only 4 months but she's only had one tiny cold that went away pretty quickly and I only BF for a little over a day. My pediatrican said that the antibodies are only in breast milk for the first few weeks, so your LO got all of that. Once the first few weeks are over, I was told that breast milk is no different than formula. Try to relax and know that it's not your fault.

Featuring Experts

Dr. Dan Brennan is a Board Certified Pediatrician and Certified Lactation Counselor. He is a graduate of UCLA, Albany Medical College and completed ...More

Helpful Tips

Updated Crib Safety GuidelinesExpert
For information on the latest federal crib safety standards, here is a link to important points for parents to be aware of! ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 5 found this helpful

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.