Skip to content
My daughter has trouble gaining weight
mamas0407 posted:
My little one refuses to eat because she's sick right now. The only problem is, she can't afford to lose anymore weight. I'm getting really frustrated with her lack of interest in food. She doesn't have a good appetite at all right now, and she was only 17 lbs to begin with (she's 11 months). Relatives complain and tell me I'm doing something wrong because I'm not feeding her. It's to the point where I'm trying to force feed her, and she's not taking it. I'm calling her doctor tomorrow, but I saw her on Tues and she just said sick babies don't eat. I'm wondering if anyone here has had a similar problem with an underweight baby. Since she's "thriving" her pediatrician and other doctors agree that she's doing well. Be that as it may, I'd like for her to gain some pounds.

shoxy responded:
My daughter is 9 1/2months old and is also thin. Her height to weight ratio is only 20% but at her 6 month check up she was under the graph. She has always been thin but tall and I too was always very concerned about her weight but everyone would tell me it's just how she is. They eat if they are hungry and don't when they aren't. You can't force feed a baby and as long as she is meeting all her milestone you don't have anything to worry about. She just might be a thinner baby. Always offer the food but there's not much you can do. I do know that when my daughter is teething really hard she only wants a bottle...

mamas0407 replied to shoxy's response:
I know I can't force feed her, but I get frustrated because she will literally take two bites of a sandwich, or waffles, or strawberries, no matter what I give her, then stop. I'm trying feedings outside of her highchair now. It's messy, yes, but it seems to be working a little better. I am sick of people making comments and looking at my daughter like she's sickly or has an underdeveloped immune system, just because she's thin. My mom is the worse. I'm just getting really frustrated...

lenono97 responded:
Is the pedi telling you she is underweight? If not, I would try to relax and tell everyone to mind there own business, even your mother. Focusing so much on food is stressful for both of you. Offer her options and let her eat what she wants. She will not starve her self. Perhaps try finger food or offering dips like yogurt or ranch dressing. Offer smaller, more frequent meals. I would stay away from juices because that could fill her up and then make her not want food. Is she on whole milk or formula? Milk can also fill her up and make her not want food. If she still gets formula or breast milk, then cut back on that. My daughter has never been a big eater. She is now 3 and still isn't. However, I have learned that it doesn't do any good to stress over it unless it's affecting her growth. She is very healthy! Good luck.

Featuring Experts

Dr. Dan Brennan is a Board Certified Pediatrician and Certified Lactation Counselor. He is a graduate of UCLA, Albany Medical College and completed ...More

Helpful Tips

Crib Safety Tips
CRIB SAFETY TIPS if you have a used crib or are considering buying one: Make sure it has no corner posts. older infants can catch ... More
Was this Helpful?
11 of 23 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.