Skip to content
Baby Not Eating !!! Stressed!!
lbcash posted:
It's been a stressfull weekend to say the least. My son is 3 1/2 months old and he has decided over a weeks time to stop taking his bottle. He started giving us a struggle with it about a week ago. I called the pedi and they said it's because he was constipated, and he was pretty bad (5 days without BM) so they told me to start Mirilax. Well that fixed and that and then Saturday he decided to start losing it, kicking, screaming, and crying anytime we tried to give him a bottle. He ate 13 ounce during a whole day (that's half his normal amount). I called the pedi's after hours number and they said maybe his ears? No he takes his paci fine. Thrush? No his mouth is clear. She said give it a few days and bring him in if it continues. I don't think I can wait that long. Any common experiences? Any suggestions?

Please before you judge me for not breastfeeding know that I have a chronic disease that I take meds for that prohibits me from doing so. I have Crohn's and amongst all of this I am having a flare up.

Allaya9 responded:
So sorry your going through this, I haven't experienced this yet so I'm not sure what's going on. Maybe a stomach bug? I would definitely call the pedi today and bring him in something is going on with him. I definitely am not going to judge you on breastfeeding, my son was a horrible breastfeeder, he couldn't latch even after consulting with a lactation consultant.

lbcash replied to Allaya9's response:
Thanks for your reply. I called the daycare to see if he would eat for her this morning because when I took him at 7:30 he had not ate since 2:30 a.m.. He wouldn't eat for me before we left. She said he finally ate at 9:30 (7 hours in between), 5 oz. but he kicked and screamed the whole time. I called the pedi's office and told them we couldn't wait he had to come today. We have an appointment for this afternoon. I hate when either of my boys are sick

earleyml1012 responded:
Is it possible he has acid reflux...screaming, kicking while eating sounds like a common sign. I was once told that babies only need a few ounces of liquid to live, so if he won't eat for a few days I wouldn't be super concerned but it's good you are taking him in. It really sound like reflux to me. Hope you get some answers.

Oh and never beat yourself up for not BF, it's not the end of the world to bottle feed. Both of my girls are/were on formula and they are completely happy babies!

lbcash replied to earleyml1012's response:
He has severe GERD and he is on the max dose of Zantac. His GERD is so bad that the pedi told us to let him sleep in his bouncy because he would wake up choking and gasping for air and she was afraid he would aspirate. He is also on Similac Sensitive for Spit Up because she thinks the rice starch would help the reflux portion of the GERD. I have thought that that could be the problem because he did this once before and they increased his Zantac dosage and it helped. But now he is at the max dose. So IDK I'm just glad he got in today!

earleyml1012 replied to lbcash's response:
Interesting. Let us know what the pedi says.

lbcash replied to earleyml1012's response:
Well it was his ears!! He had a horrible ear infection in both ears! The pedi and I both thought it was something with his GERD and stomach until she looked in his ears and we found the culprit. I actually said thank god because this is something we know and we can fix. I don't want my baby to be sick at all!! But if he's going to be I want it to be something we know and can fix!!

Featuring Experts

Dr. Dan Brennan is a Board Certified Pediatrician and Certified Lactation Counselor. He is a graduate of UCLA, Albany Medical College and completed ...More

Helpful Tips

anemia scare
my 16 month old daughter just got some blood work done and the results came back and showed she was anemic. We are very concerned, scared, ... More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 8 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.