Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
New born with breathing problem
RehanAdil posted:
My one month old baby during feeding starts grasping for air. His breathing rate increases so much as though he has run a marathon and he starts panting. This happens in every feeding (breast feeding as well as bottle feeding). He is normal otherwise and during any other activity like when he is kicking his legs or playing, the breathing rate is normal. It only occurs during feeding.
It has been occurring since his birth. I ignored it at first but someone told me that rapid breathing can also result from heart problems so I was very worried. Can anyone tell me what can be the reason for this?

alphonsosmom responded:
I have a question because my son at 5 months was diagnosed with RSV causing his chest to cave in and the doctor put him on a breathing treatment that made him super hyper on top of the fact he is adhd after he was given the treatment and I cannot for the life of me remember the name of it. It was a liquid form. Also I was wondering if my thinking is right, if it is albuterol, is that considered a steroid?

Sara DuMond, MD, FAAP responded:
Dear RehanAdil,
Thank you so much for posting your question about your son. I agree with your concerned friends, that this symptom definitely warrants a trip to the pediatrician's office. Since I haven't examined him, it's impossible for me to diagnose the problem, but gasping for air and having shortness of breath with feedings could possibly indicate an underlying heart problem. It could also be an airway problem, gastroesophageal reflux, and a number of other conditions that would benefit from a doctor's evaluation and treatment. Please take your little guy in to your pediatrician's office to have this evaluated and keep us updated!
Dr. DuMond

Sara DuMond, MD, FAAP replied to alphonsosmom's response:
Yes, your thinking is correct. The liquid medicine you are thinking of is most likely Albulterol. It is not a steroid, but a bronchodilator (it opens up the bronchial tubes by relaxing the smooth muscle lining the walls of the bronchial tubes). It often has a temporary side of effect of making children more "excitable" and also temporarily causes their heart rate to speed up. Luckily, these are not long-lived or permanent side effects and most often wear off after about a 4 hour window. I hope that helps!
Dr. DuMond

RehanAdil replied to Sara DuMond, MD, FAAP's response:
Thank you for you reply. I was going to take him to the doctor but he is alright now. He did this thing for one month but has stopped from last week or so. I was really worried but thank God, he is fine now.

KBratt responded:
My son is 5wks old & does it while breast feeding, but not on bottle...The reason is because I have a "high flow" breast milk, but when we bottle feed him we use a level 1 nipple. So when he is breast feeding he gets a lot at once & has to pull away to catch his breath, as if chugging. What type of nipple/bottles are you using? There is no way to control your breast flow.

RehanAdil replied to KBratt's response:
Dear KBratt,
he is fine now. He did it only for the first month and during last week has stopped doing it. Thank you very much for your response.

Featuring Experts

Dr. Dan Brennan is a Board Certified Pediatrician and Certified Lactation Counselor. He is a graduate of UCLA, Albany Medical College and completed ...More

Helpful Tips

The What, When, How, and Why of Babies Sleeping Through the NightExpert
I absolutely love the discussions in this newborn community! I have noticed lots of discussions lately about sleep issues in babies that ... More
Was this Helpful?
18 of 24 found this helpful

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.