Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Persistant Diarrhea
faeln posted:
My son, now 8 months old, was put on a course of antibiotics for an ear infection in mid-February. After 7 days (on a penicillin) he showed no signs of improvement, and the doc put him on a stronger antibiotic. After one dose, he developed a rash, so the doc proscribed another strong antibiotic. This one was a -mycin. He was on that for 5 days, for a total of 13 days on antibiotics. His last dose was 25 February, and he's had diarrhea ever since. I expected to go through a bout, since he'd been on antibiotics for so long; but it's been over a month! Called the doc at 2 weeks, ran a stool sample through the local hospital, nada. No colitis, nothing. Tried a Lactobacillus probiotic, the only change has been that the diaper mess is no longer the same color it was when I fed it to him. If I try the BRAT diet foods (rice, bananas, etc) we see some improvement, but if he doesn't have them at every meal, the mess gets runny again.
Before the antibiotic, stool consistency was like peanut butter. Now, with the probiotic and BRAT foods, it's about pureed sweet potato. Without, it's more like pureed carrot. Watery; and it usually smells sour. I'm at my wits' end. How long does it usually take before symptoms clear up?

He is well-hydrated and showing no other signs of discomfort. This mama is getting tired of the poop mess, though.

lenono97 responded:
That's sounds like too long to have diarrhea. I would ask for another test for C-diff (colitis). If not, I would at least ask the doctor to prescribe the treatment for it. Good luck.

Sara DuMond, MD, FAAP responded:
Dear faeln,
I am so sorry to hear that you've had such a rough month and a half with your son! It's tough enough to deal with an ear infection that isn't getting better, let alone with several weeks of diarrhea. I have certainly seen children who have prolonged antibiotic-associated diarrhea, especially in situations like you are describing, where there are multiple courses of back-to-back antibiotics; however, I would agree that since it has gone on for so long, it would be a good idea to schedule an appointment with your pediatrician to have him evaluated. One of the other parents mentioned c.diff, which is certainly something to consider. I am glad to hear that your little guy is well-hydrated and seems to be comfortable, but nonetheless, it sounds like it's time to have him seen again. Hope that helps!
Dr. DuMond

Featuring Experts

Dr. Dan Brennan is a Board Certified Pediatrician and Certified Lactation Counselor. He is a graduate of UCLA, Albany Medical College and completed ...More

Helpful Tips

Updated Crib Safety GuidelinesExpert
For information on the latest federal crib safety standards, here is a link to important points for parents to be aware of! ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 5 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.