Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
4 MONTH
ASHDT posted:
MY SON IS 4 MONTHS AND HES ONLY 13LBS AND 25 INCHES. WHATS THE NORMAL WEIGHT AND HEIGHT. ALSO HE WAS BORN A PREEMIE AT 34 WEEKS.

lenono97 responded:
That sounds about right. My son was just shy of 15 pounds at his 6 month appointment and 27 inches tall. Remember, every child is different. Some big, small try. Try not to compare. If the doctor says he is the right size, he is.

lbcash responded:
It's hard not to worry about the milestones the first year but your little one is just fine. My youngest son is going for his four month appointment next week and when we was in the docs office last week he just weighed 12lbs. He was born at 36 weeks. He was in the 3rd percentile on height and weight at his two month check up. My first son is almost 5 years old and he was exactly the same size when he was his brothers age ( he was also born at 36 weeks). Well almost. My first son stayed in the 5 th percentile in height and weight his first year and if they were still keeping up with it he's probably still there. He's small but very healthy. I was really small until high school when I caught up with everyone else. Everyones different.

ASHDT responded:
THANKS GUYS. I WAS JUST WORRIED BECAUSE WHENEVER WE ARE OUT PEOPLE ALWAYS SAY THAT HES SOO SMALL. BUT HES SOO ADVANCED AT 3 MONTHS HE WAS ROLLING OVER AND SCOOTING.

kshirley15 replied to ASHDT's response:
My baby is the exact opposite! He is 15 weeks today and already weighs 16 lbs and 4 oz! He is a BIG boy! I am breast feeding and thank goodness I have an ungodly supply of milk, so I'm able to keep up! I get comments all the time when we are out about how big he is. Our friend's baby is 2 days younger then he is and weight 2 lbs less.

It sounds like your LO is developing normally since he is already rolling over and scooting, which is great. Some babies are just smaller! I think my little guy's size is hindering some of his physical developments. He tries so hard to roll over but just can't quite get it yet, but I think having to move all that weight is a work out for him!

fiannakyn replied to kshirley15's response:
my son is 17 weeks ( a few days shy of 4 months) and he's 13.5 lbs and about 23 in long. He was born at full term (2 days before dd) but weighed 5 lbs and was 19 inches long at birth. his birth mom (we adopted) is tiny too. so look at YOUR and your husband's sizes too. if one of you are smaller than "avarage" then maybe the kid is taking after them? (BTW adult avarages are female- 5'4" and males 5'9")

the CDC has a great chart you can look at that shows size for age and gender (boys and girls are diffrent charts) and like PP said- some kids are smaller, some are bigger! how else would we have an "Avarage"?

The doctors mostly care if the child LOSES weight or stops growing (falls on the charts), as long as he stays at the same, or increases, they say its all good!
Vicky DH (35) (adpopted) son Anthony was born De 23, 2011. Also licensed foster parents. Never been pregnant.

Featuring Experts

Dr. Dan Brennan is a Board Certified Pediatrician and Certified Lactation Counselor. He is a graduate of UCLA, Albany Medical College and completed ...More

Helpful Tips

Updated Crib Safety GuidelinesExpert
For information on the latest federal crib safety standards, here is a link to important points for parents to be aware of! ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 5 found this helpful

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.