Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
6 month old and sippy cup. expert advice please
5ylver posted:
I recently bought DD a trainer cup (Gerber Nuk) and she loves it! she's getting her formula from it and has been feeding from it since yesterday. She took it very well (DD#1 screamed the second a trainer cup touched her mouth) So I figured maybe I should take advantage of this and do away with the bottles so I do not confuse her or backtrack. My question is, is switching to cups at 6 months old a bad idea? Should I still give her the bottle? She drinks even better from the cup than the bottle, when I've given her bottles the past few weeks she seems uninterested and I thought maybe it's because she eats solids now that it's making her formula seem "boring" but now with her sippy she is taking her formula like she used to. Can I do away with bottles altogether and move forward with trainer cups?

Dan Brennan, MD responded:
Congratulations! It sounds like you are doing an amazing job. If your baby is drinking well from a trainer cup, then I see no reason why you couldn't continue using them and phase out the bottles whenever you like. Keep up the great work!

Dr Dan

5ylver replied to Dan Brennan, MD's response:
Thank you so much! I was just hoping there was no harm in taking away the bottle too early, as far as oral development goes. This is great! She is making my job as a parent easier for me, I hope I'll be saying the same thing years from now

ErilyahsMommy responded:
I started my daughter on sippy cups at 4 months and by the time she was 8 months she was off bottles! All of her formula is given to her in sippy cups and she hasn't missed the bottle at all! I don't really see the need for bottles when they start teething and my pediatrician was so happy her father and I made the switch so smoothly.

Featuring Experts

Dr. Dan Brennan is a Board Certified Pediatrician and Certified Lactation Counselor. He is a graduate of UCLA, Albany Medical College and completed ...More

Helpful Tips

bottle problem
like this website i always check what i want to know about medical well i have a question how can i stop my son drink in the bottle his ... More
Was this Helpful?
8 of 15 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.