Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
4 month old with chronic constipation almost since birth
jmw278 posted:
I had my daughter in to see her Dr. for her 4 month checkup because she was spitting up a lot, had a lot of gas and had really bad constipation. The Dr. suggested that we change her formula from Similac sensitive gas and fussiness to Similac spit up and if the constipation didn't get better in a week to give her a call and let her know.

I changed her formula and she was spitting up more than before, still had a lot of gas and was still really constipated. She isn't able to have a bowel movement on her own so I have been giving her Pedia Lax every couple of days because she is in so much pain. I've tried giving her prune-apple juice and plain apple juice, but she has a really hard time trying to get any of that down. I give her gas drops with every bottle she takes daily.

I was told to switch her back to her original formula, a prescription of Zantac was given to her and I was told to give her ½ -1 teaspoon of Milk of Magnesia every day. This seems to have helped, but how long am I supposed to keep this up? When I stop the MOM, she still won't/can't have a bowel movement on her own.

What am I supposed to do and can there be something seriously wrong that the Dr. is missing or not paying attention to? I really don't think it's normal for a 4 month old to have this many problems. This has been going on almost since birth and she is exclusively formula fed.

kell0613 responded:
I don't have much experience with formula, but maybe she is having some type of lactose allergy. What does your Pedi think about trying another type of formula? I think there is a soy based one.
Kelly (26) and DD, Nola born 9/24/2011

kd0erj replied to kell0613's response:
This sounds just like the dairy allergies my daughter was having, except my daughter had diarrea instead of constipation. I BF, so I eliminated dairy, and she was fine after that. With babies, it isn't lactose that is the problem, it is the proteins in the milk their bodies can't handle. No cheese, yogurt, any of that for me now.

Be very careful about switching to soy, most kids with dairy insensitivites also have soy. Kellymom and Dr. sears have really good resources for dietary problems in babies. You might have to switch pediatricians if you think your baby isn't getting the care needed.

There is one formula out there that is made for kids with major allergies. It is derived from cows milk, but they break down the proteins really well, so it is much easier on the stomach.

Hang in there, it gets better. And you are not alone.

candycane1234 responded:
Saw someone asking similar questions earlier: https://www.healthtap.com/user_questions/68433-how-can-i-treat-my-5-months-baby-from-constipation-she-just-started-solid-foods

Has she started solid foods yet? My 1 year old had the same problem when she first started, but the problem resolved overtime. You should definitely ask for advice from more pediatricians if the problem remains.

rainy123456 responded:
My 3 month old baby has same problem. He continues milk of magnesia for 2 month. Dr. Suspect he has hirschsprung disease. How your baby cure. Please tell. I m so tensed

Featuring Experts

Dr. Dan Brennan is a Board Certified Pediatrician and Certified Lactation Counselor. He is a graduate of UCLA, Albany Medical College and completed ...More

Helpful Tips

Updated Crib Safety GuidelinesExpert
For information on the latest federal crib safety standards, here is a link to important points for parents to be aware of! ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 5 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.