Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Hard Lump on top of Baby's head
An_245026 posted:
I have a 3 month old and he has just developed a hard lump under the skin on the top of his head. My Dr. told me it could be a bone spur. Has anyone heard of this. He told me would just continue to watch it but I'm worried. It looks like it is getting bigger.
lbcash responded:
My son has a hard lump on the back of his head toward the base of his neck. It is really hard but it moves when you touch it. I asked the doc about it last week and she said it was a lymph node and it was common and we would just watch it, but it was common.
Sara DuMond, MD, FAAP responded:
Hi there! Congratulations on the birth of your son! Based on what you are describing, I would wonder about a few things:
1. Was there any use of instrumentation during the delivery (vacuum, forceps, etc)
2. Did your son have lopsided swelling to his head after he was born (referred to as a cephalohematoma)?
Both of these things can lead to calcification in the area, but neither situation is worrisome and most resolve over time. Since I haven't examined your son directly, I can't say for sure, but I agree that it needs to be monitored for change. Since you feel like it is getting bigger, the best approach would be to take him back in to your son's regular doctor to have the area re-examined. Hope that helps!
Dr. DuMond

Helpful Tips

The What, When, How, and Why of Babies Sleeping Through the NightExpert
I absolutely love the discussions in this newborn community! I have noticed lots of discussions lately about sleep issues in babies that ... More
Was this Helpful?
23 of 29 found this helpful

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.