Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Hi All!
tdawntaylor posted:
Bryson Scott Taylor is here, and im officially a mommy!!7lbs 3oz, 21 1/4 inches, born at 4:59 pm! They had a hard time with the epidural, and punctured a hole in my spine causing my meds to go straight into my spinal fluid. The test dose of local anisthetic they gave me numbed me from the chest down, my blood pressure dropped to 80/36 and we lost Braons heartbeat for a minute. I recovered after a few minutes with oxygen but we couldn't use the anisthetic anymore and I was limited to small doses of morphine as needed. Aside from our early problems with the epi, labor was so much easier than I thought it would be! I've had bowel movements that hurt worse! AND I ended up doing it with no anesthetic and a low dose of pain meds! I did get a second degree tear that hurts pretty badly now, but we're all very happy!

He was on his side instead of face down, so we had to push a little longer, but we started pushing at 4:15 and he slid on out in 44 minutes! He is sweet and perfect, he hasn't cried except for right after he came out, and for under two minutes after he got his vitamin k shot, and fusses a little when he gets hungry.

He is latching on and eating great! He has eaten every two hours (a little more actually) and already had five dirty diapers!

I couldn't be happier! Here's a link to a picture of him http://instagr.am/p/J6HGIbu2kD/

• *Update** Due to the hole in my spine from trying to do the epi, I'm leaking spinal fluid which is causing headaches so bad I can't stand up and barely sit up. I am getting regular pain meds for it, and today they gave me an abdominal band to keep pressure on it so it will hopefully heal up. If it is still giving me problems we are going to have to do a blood patch. It's really scary, and making it very hard to take care of my new baby. DH is a superstar an has been changing all diapers, bringing him to me to nurse him, walking me in to the bathroom, making sure in comfy and sleeping. It's really upsetting to not be able to get up and take care of Bryson when he's crying.

Allaya9 responded:
    Hi and welcome! So glad your little man is here and he's so cute. I remember when my little guy was that little. So sorry to hear about your trouble with the epi and the resulting pain after it, hope you get better soon. Oh and take advantage of your hubby doing everything you need to get better for both of them.
    Me(37) DH(38) Lochlan Sidney born 9/9/11

Ihgirl1066 replied to Allaya9's response:
    Welcome and sorry to hear about your epi. I had an epi with my first and it only lasted 2 hours, all i got from it was a sore back for a month where i couldnt get comfy to sleep. So i skipped all the pain meds with my daughter, i felt soo much better afterward.

tdawntaylor responded:
    Bryson turned 1 week yesterday! Sunday we had to go back to the hospital to have his bilirubin levels rechecked, and he had to be admitted. It was so sad, he had to lay under the lights and they wouldn't let me get him out and hold him. They retested him Monday as wanted us to sty another night, but I convinced them to test again that night, and we got to go home around 8pm Monday. Tuesday my headaches from the spinal leak got so bad I couldn't move to nurse, and Wednesday we went back to te hospital an I had the blood patch done. My back has been sore, but I can finally take care of my baby again.

EEE4565 replied to tdawntaylor's response:
    wow you have been thru the ringer. Im dealing with the bilirubin as well, didnt like that process at all but they let us take him out to nurse as long as he layed on the glow worm pad as we called it. Still bothered me, 18 hrs of heropy and levels still are high but dropping. I hope your felling better:)

Mom to Sean Ryan born 5/3/2012

oboingo76 replied to tdawntaylor's response:
    Hi tdawntaylor! I was on the 3rd tri board with you. I am so sorry to hear about your epidural problems. I've had friends who had this and I know it's painful. I hope this note finds you feeling more like yourself.

We had the bilirubin issues as well (breast milk jaundice). We got our baby girl home only to have to go back to the hospital the following day to spend two more nights there. I was breastfeeding so we got to stay with her and they let me take her to out to feed her, but that was about it - back into the box she went when not being fed. It broke my heart! It's so common but when it's your baby (esp your first), just SO difficult when you just want to cuddle them. The hardest part for me was her having to have her eyes covered all the time. I had to remind myself that she was used to being in a dark place.

Featuring Experts

Dr. Dan Brennan is a Board Certified Pediatrician and Certified Lactation Counselor. He is a graduate of UCLA, Albany Medical College and completed ...More

Helpful Tips

Did you know crib bumpers can be dangerous?Expert
    Sure they're cute, but are they worth the potential risk? Between 1985 and 2005, 27 children under the age of 2 years died and 25 were ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    32 of 45 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.