Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Sleeping Thru the Night
kell0613 posted:
My DD will be 8 months next week.
She was doing so great, sleeping from 8p-5a. But all of a sudden last week she decided she did not want to continue sleeping thru the night! I am at my whit's end. I need sleep!! I work fulltime and can barely function during the day.
I know at this point she doesn't "need" to eat thru the night. BUT she wakes up 1-3 times a night (midnight, 3a, 4a) to nurse AND eats between 5:30-6 before I leave for work.
I've tried letting her CIO, which was working, and she was going back to sleep in less than 10 minutes. But these past few nights she does a combo of crying and babbling (during the babbling she is not crying at all, just calling "dada!") for over an hour!
At that point none of us are getting sleep, so bf her and she conks right back out.
Any suggestions? Will it ever end??
Kelly (26) DH (32) and DD Nola born 9/24/2011

hevans0516 responded:
Could it be a growth spurt? Maybe ask LOs dr what they recommend.

KBratt responded:
DD goes through spurts like that too & she is almost 2. Just after the new baby came home she was waking up at 3-4a EVERY night, we believe in the CIO method too, but if one of us didn't go in there she would be screaming/talking/crying for like 2hrs & DH has to go to work. I can tell you she has passed it now. Hopefully it will pass for your LO too.
Katie: DH-Ryan, Kelsey 7/4/10

Allaya9 responded:
My little guy is doing the same thing, he ravenously eats when he gets up and it conks him back out. Though lately he's been teething so we're thinking the pain is waking him up (we can see a tooth on the brink of breaking through the gums). Last night I gave him some extra food and ibuprofen, the pain reliever helps a lot for teething. Maybe she's teething? Or perhaps a growth spurt. Hope this helps.
Me(37) DH(38) Lochlan Sidney born 9/9/11

Ihgirl1066 replied to Allaya9's response:
My son got up 2-3 times a night to eat until he was 19 months old, nothing else worked, he grew like a weed tho. DD she almost 8 months and she still gets up 2-3 times a night to eat.

Dont worry i havent slept through the night since i was roughly 20 weeks preggo with DS and that was 29.5 months ago, you'll survive, you get used to it!

kell0613 replied to Ihgirl1066's response:
Thanks ladies! Its nice to know we're not the only ones. Of course, it would be nicer to get more than 2 hours of sleep in a row!
Kelly (26) DH (32) and DD Nola born 9/24/2011

earleyml1012 responded:
DD was sleeping through the night (7pm-6:30am) for about a month until we went on vacation last Friday-Monday. She started getting up around 4am and since we were in a hotel we didn't want to let her cry so we gave her a bottle. Now she's still getting up about the same time and I'm exhausted. We thought teething so we gave her motrin before bed but still getting up. My other thought is growth spurt but how long will it last. She's eating about 3 jars of baby food and about 30oz of formula without the night time feeding, so I can't imagine that she's hungry. We've tried CIO too but she starts screaming and gets super worked up, plus no one is sleeping during it anyway. Plus we have a 3 yr old that we don't want waking up. HELP!!!

Featuring Experts

Dr. Dan Brennan is a Board Certified Pediatrician and Certified Lactation Counselor. He is a graduate of UCLA, Albany Medical College and completed ...More

Helpful Tips

The What, When, How, and Why of Babies Sleeping Through the NightExpert
I absolutely love the discussions in this newborn community! I have noticed lots of discussions lately about sleep issues in babies that ... More
Was this Helpful?
18 of 24 found this helpful

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.