Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Baby & MRSA
miss_ladawn posted:
My question for an expert is this. I know some about MRSA and know that it is something that a person carries for life although they may not have a current outbreak. I have a small baby who usually have cuts and scrapes on him. I know that MRSA is transmitted from touch, especially if there is an open wound present. There is a very close family friend that has MRSA. My question is whether there is even a slight possibility that my child could get MRSA from this person if there is contact between them.

Take the Poll

Would you knowingly allow your baby around someone who has MRSA?
  • Yes
  • No
  • Maybe/Maybe Not
vote
View Poll Results

tommysmom22602 responded:
My niece had MRSA on her 4th bday. She was in the hospital for a little less than a week. From what I know about MRSA a child that has had it once is more likely to get it again. My niece got it a second time in a different spot about 6 months later. They had everyone in my fathers home take some kind of antibiotic swabs to their nose to kill the viruse because it lives in your nose and on your skin. Then they disinfected the whole house with lysol and bleach water. That was the last instance my family had with it. I would def. not let a child be around anyone who has it or has had it in the recent pass. All they have to do is get the germ on their hand and put it in their mouth or nose or touch a wound and there ya go! It is very contagious!

Desirae82 replied to tommysmom22602's response:
My son has MRSA he first had it when he was 2. He used to go to the hospital all the time to get them lanced and drained and then prescribed antibiotics but they really arent good for kids to take too much...I kept up on sanitizing the house and clothes and washing him in anti-bacterial soap but he still kept getting MRSA spots... so what I did (and this is going to sound weird)... put a half cup of bleach in a full bath tub of warm water and it kills off whatever bacteria is on their skin... he doesnt have outbreaks as bad... maybe once a year compared to the once a month it was before.
As far as MRSA in the bones... the only way to ail that is a trip and stay at the hospital for a few days (depending on how severe the case). The unfortunate side is, once you get it, you have it for life!

Featuring Experts

Dr. Dan Brennan is a Board Certified Pediatrician and Certified Lactation Counselor. He is a graduate of UCLA, Albany Medical College and completed ...More

Helpful Tips

Did you know crib bumpers can be dangerous?Expert
Sure they're cute, but are they worth the potential risk? Between 1985 and 2005, 27 children under the age of 2 years died and 25 were ... More
Was this Helpful?
32 of 45 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.