Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
VCUG for a 4 month old girl
SandynShaun posted:
My daughter is 4months old and had her first UTI, her pediatrician sent her to have an ultrasound done to check her kidneys, the results were that she has mildly enlarged kidneys. Now they want her to have a VCUG to test for Reflux. Has anyone had this problem? Is it normal for this test to be done after 1 UTI? I am worried and concerned. I am not sure what to expect.

Sara DuMond, MD, FAAP responded:
Hi SandynShaun,
I am sorry to hear about your daughter's UTI. This is a very common scenario in babies, and just about every parent has questions about the VCUG test. The standard of care is to evaluate any baby (or older child up to age 5) with a UTI, with an ultrasound of the kidneys. If there is any swelling of the kidneys on ultrasound, the next best step is to have a VCUG test (voiding cystourethrogram) done to evaluate for any anatomical causes that might have predisposed the baby to getting a UTI. For more information on the VCUG test, take a look at:
www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/cystourethrogram.com
It is a necessary test, and babies tolerate it well, so although the thought of having your baby undergo any sort of test can be scary, you can feel good that this is the next best step. Best of luck to you.
Dr. DuMond

SandynShaun replied to Sara DuMond, MD, FAAP's response:
Thanks Dr. DuMond,
I took her to have the procedure done, but the nurses could not catheterize her because they said she has an "extra Opening" that was leading back down towards her vagina and not up towards her bladder. Is this common? I am having to take her to a urologist to have him look to see what is going on. I am not sure what the procedure would be to correct this.

Ihgirl1066 replied to SandynShaun's response:
Awe your poor lil girl, hope everything turns out just fine!

Brady_Dad replied to Sara DuMond, MD, FAAP's response:
Dr. DuMond,

After an ultrasound during a Well Baby visit, my daughter (15 months) was diagnosed with "Caliectasis" in her left kidney. She underwent the VCUG test a week later and there are no signs of reflux. We are relieved.

Now that we've determined reflux is not the cause of the Caliectasis, what is the next step in identifying the cause?

The Pediatric Clinic appears to be content with the negative results of the VCUG and does not appear to be trying to identify the cause of the Caliectasis.

What questions do I need to be asking and should I be asking the Pediatric doctor or the Urologist?

Thank you in advance,
Troy

Featuring Experts

Dr. Dan Brennan is a Board Certified Pediatrician and Certified Lactation Counselor. He is a graduate of UCLA, Albany Medical College and completed ...More

Helpful Tips

bottle problem
like this website i always check what i want to know about medical well i have a question how can i stop my son drink in the bottle his ... More
Was this Helpful?
8 of 15 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.