Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
hand foot mouth
grammysbugs posted:
My grand-daughter has a severe rash all over her body. My daughter said that her pediatrician said it was hand foot mouth disease but im not convinced. The baby doesnt have sores in her mouth and the rash is all over her intire body, not just feet and hands. I wanted to take the baby swimming but I dont know if I can cause i'm not sure exactly what she has.

Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi grammysbugs -

This information, Hand-Foot-and-Mouth Disease may be helpful and I also wanted to pass along this discussion from Dr. Benaroch on our Parenting Community -

Let us know after reading this if you think it is or isn't Hand-Foot-Mouth -

Elizabeth
Elizabeth
~To be a child is to know the joy of living, To have a child is to know the gift of life.~ Author Unknown

Sara DuMond, MD, FAAP responded:
Hi grammysbugs,
I am sorry to hear that your granddaughter is battling with a rash. Hand-foot-and-mouth disease is caused by a virus called coxsackie virus, and although most books you will read describe the rash only on the hands and feet with ulcers in the mouth, I have certainly seen cases where the rash has been more widespread on other parts of their body. Since coxsackie virus and most other viral rashes aren't dangerous, and since there is no treatment available, the best approach is to wait it out. Most viral rashes resolve within a few days without any intervention. Hope that helps!
Dr. DuMond

Featuring Experts

Dr. Dan Brennan is a Board Certified Pediatrician and Certified Lactation Counselor. He is a graduate of UCLA, Albany Medical College and completed ...More

Helpful Tips

anemia scare
my 16 month old daughter just got some blood work done and the results came back and showed she was anemic. We are very concerned, scared, ... More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 8 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.