Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    Phoebe's Birth Story
    hevans0516 posted:
    I believe I went into labor on Saturday April 21st at about 1pm. I thought I was just having an upset stomach. That afternoon my husband and I went on walks every few hours to "start" labor since nothing else seemed to be working. At about 11pm I told my husband "I'm going to bed. I think I'm in labor. Don't stay up too late." He came to bed around 11:30pm.
    Contractions were random but became more intense. I was able to sleep in between them. At 3:30am Sunday I woke my husband. I said "I think they're getting closer. We should start timing them" Thank goodness for the contraction timer on his droid.
    My contractions were not typical. The duration and frequency seemed to have no pattern. From 3:30am to about 5:30ish they were anywhere from 10 minutes to 2 and a half minutes apart, going back and forth, most at 6 to 7 minutes. The contractions would last 26 seconds to a minute and a half. I only saw 4 minutes apart once or twice.
    Shortly after 5:30am I said "We need to call the midwife." I couldn't even communicate with the after hours nurse. My hubby had to talk to her. When the RN called back I tried to talk but barely managed one sentence before my hubby had to take the phone. She said "I can hear her." I was very vocal at that point. She tried to ask some questions before paging the midwife and he answered as best as possible. As we waited for the midwife to call back my contractions started coming steady at 3 and a half minutes apart.
    When the midwife called back we had already started getting dressed and ready to go. I just kept saying"We need to get to the hospital NOW!" That was about 6am. I took me a few minutes to get downstairs. I had to keep stopping in between contractions. The trip seemed to take longer than usual and I was pretty sure I was going to have her in the car.
    When we got to the hospital no one came out with wheelchair, so I walked in myself. I felt like she was coming as I was walking inside. We got to Labor & Delivery at about 6:30 am. I signed two papers. One so they could treat me and another so they could treat her. Then I laid on my right side so the nurse could check me. The first nurse checked, and said "Let me go get another nurse." I was freaked. I thought she was going to tell me that I was only at 5cm. The second nurse came and checked. She then tells me "Honey, you're at 9cm and about to have a baby!"
    We had beaten the midwife to the hospital by about 20 minutes, even though she lived closer that we did. Shortly after that we were pushing. I had gotten to 10cm and the midwife told me that my bag of water was bulging. That's probably why I thought she was going to come in the car.
    My midwife offered to break my bag of water and I refused. At about 7am I started pushing. During the second round of pushing my water broke. It was amazing how my body seemed to push on its own, taking over the process. My midwife was so encouraging. She told me several times "Don't you want to push her out so you can see this head full of hair" and "Only you can push this baby out." Midway though pushing I asked for drugs and my hubby asked if I could wait 10 minutes. I asked again about 30 minutes later and my midwife says "Honey it's too late." I pushed for 1 and a half hours. Later, I told midwife about my contractions and she told me next time to come straight to hospital because my next baby will come faster than first.
    On Sunday April 22nd 2012 at 8:37am Phoebe Isabelle entered the world. I was so shocked. She was finally here and I had had a drug free birth. She weighed 6 lbs 12 oz in the delivery room but the official weight in the nursery was 6 lbs 13 oz. She was 18.5 inches long. She was perfect!
    Shortly after she arrived I had some issues with hemorrhaging. I ended up with a shot of pitocin (10cc) in my leg. And when that didn't slow it down I had another dose (20 cc) with a bag of IV fluids. Just one bag of fluids to help with my blood pressure and pulse.
    hevans0516 responded:
    I finally got around to typing it up!
    Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff responded:
    Congratulations hevans0516 and Welcome to Mommy World!

    Can I just say - WOW! I am impressed you got to the hospital and delivered with no meds! It is amazing what our bodies will do.

    Please keep us posted with what's going on with you and Phoebe on Monday Minutes and look forward to sharing your first year together!

    Blessing to you and your new addition to your family,
    ~To be a child is to know the joy of living, To have a child is to know the gift of life.~ Author Unknown
    lenono97 responded:
    Great job! Yes, child birth is amazing. My daughter was born similarly. Eight hours start to finish, no drugs. My son was born last July. Six hours start to finish, no drugs. We had only been in the hospital an hour when he was born and I walked in. I would like a third but I am kind of afraid the baby will come so fast he/she will be born at home! Hope everything is going well with you and the baby!

    Helpful Tips

    Updated Crib Safety GuidelinesExpert
    For information on the latest federal crib safety standards, here is a link to important points for parents to be aware of! ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    3 of 5 found this helpful

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.