Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
6 weeks old - Actively avoids eye contact - Normal?
JohnInNYC posted:
Hi all,

My question: Is it normal or abnormal for a baby 6 weeks old to actively avoid all eye contact?

My daughter is six weeks old. For her first several days after birth she seemed pretty normal, but around the time we brought her home, she started ACTIVELY avoiding ALL eye contact. She is a twin, and her twin brother has been perfectly willing to make eye contact all along. He doesn't exhibit this issue at all.

Regardless of what distance I am from her face, the INSTANT that I move my face to be in her direct line of sight, she looks elsewhere. So then I move my face to THAT spot, and by the time I get there, she is looking elsewhere. This can repeat 50 or 100 times. There is absolutely nothing I can do to get her to look at me. She will not look at my wife either, so it's not just me.

I have Asperger's Syndrome (self-diagnosed), and so I am very afraid that this could be a symptom of autism. She did not exhibit this behavior at all before we came home from the hospital. I have photos that I took of her looking right at me while we were still in the hospital. The only thing that changed, besides coming home from the hospital, was that she had the Hepatitis B vaccine at the hospital shortly before coming home. I am seriously hoping that there is not some kind of a connection there.

Take the Poll

By what age should a baby start being willing to make eye contact?
  • Shortly after birth
  • 1-2 weeks
  • 3-4 weeks
  • 5-8 weeks
  • 9-12 weeks
vote
View Poll Results

sumis responded:
please wait for 2 more weeks my ds did not start making eye contacts until he was 8 weeks old

Featuring Experts

Dr. Dan Brennan is a Board Certified Pediatrician and Certified Lactation Counselor. He is a graduate of UCLA, Albany Medical College and completed ...More

Helpful Tips

anemia scare
my 16 month old daughter just got some blood work done and the results came back and showed she was anemic. We are very concerned, scared, ... More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 8 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.