Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
9 Mo. old does a weird shake
An_245967 posted:
My 9 mo. child at random times does a shake/shiver thta is similar to an adult shaking when a cold chill comes over them. However, I haven't been able to determine if there are certain enviromental or physical triggers. It happens at random times; sometimes 3 times a day, sometimes none. She just had a ck. up and this issue was discussed the peditrician. She didn't seem concerned since I said the motion didn't not seem indicative of a seizure. However, it still weighs on me as to what the culprit might be. She is a healthy size and meeting exceeding developmental milestones. Suggestions? I don't want to be idle if there is something possibly lurking underneath the surface.

Sara DuMond, MD, FAAP responded:
Hi An_245967,
The shaking/shiver that you are describing sounds very familiar. Lots of babies have small, unpredictable movements that can be confusing to watch, especially when there seems to be no trigger. In this instance, I agree with your pediatrician, that in the absence of any developmental delays, and because of the fact that the shiver motion is brief and not rhythmic like seizure activity, there is no cause for alarm. The underlying cause is most likely just some immaturity of the neurologic system, and will likely resolve over time. If the movement becomes more frequent or if there are any new developmental concerns that arise, it would be reasonable to explore the issue again with your pediatrician at that point.
Dr. DuMond

wvmeg replied to Sara DuMond, MD, FAAP's response:
Thank you so much! I will take your advice. If any changes arise, I will proceed from there. You have made my mind much more at ease!

Featuring Experts

Dr. Dan Brennan is a Board Certified Pediatrician and Certified Lactation Counselor. He is a graduate of UCLA, Albany Medical College and completed ...More

Helpful Tips

bottle problem
like this website i always check what i want to know about medical well i have a question how can i stop my son drink in the bottle his ... More
Was this Helpful?
8 of 15 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.