Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Swollen legs & feet, nursing baby & 1st time mother
Anon_175027 posted:
Have terriably swollen legs and am nursing a new baby. Is there anything over the counter or at the natural food market that I can take to bring the swelling down & get rid of the water that is in the legs? Please help. The doctor doesn't want to do anything for another week and I don't know if I can wait that long.

Allaya9 responded:
Ah yes I remember after my baby was born my feet and ankles swelled up something awful, my feet looked like sausages it was awful. The best thing you can do is drink plenty of water, that will help flush that out. Also, try propping your feet up and getting around and taking a stroll. I know I was pretty sore after so I couldn't walk far but it helped. It took about 2 weeks to finally go down. Hope this helps.
Me(37) DH(38) Lochlan Sidney born 9/9/11

An_239617 responded:
dandilion capsuls

hgreenwood7058 responded:
I had severe swelling for a few weeks after delivery (too the point where I was so swollen I could barely stand up. even my toes looked like sausages). I ended up in the ER a few days after i got out of the hospital from it. They don't like to give meds to women who are breastfeeding because it goes through the breast milk. They just say tough it out. It does get better. Try soaking in some epsom salt and warm to hot water too. And drink plenty of fluids.

Featuring Experts

Dr. Dan Brennan is a Board Certified Pediatrician and Certified Lactation Counselor. He is a graduate of UCLA, Albany Medical College and completed ...More

Helpful Tips

Did you know crib bumpers can be dangerous?Expert
Sure they're cute, but are they worth the potential risk? Between 1985 and 2005, 27 children under the age of 2 years died and 25 were ... More
Was this Helpful?
32 of 45 found this helpful

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.